Find an FM Radio station's wavelength, frequency given

by aliaze1
Tags: frequency, radio, solved, station, wavelength
Share this thread:
aliaze1
Sep22-07, 04:02 PM
P: 177
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An FM radio station broadcasts at a frequency of 101.3 MHz. What is the wavelength?

2. Relevant equations

Vsound = 343m/s @ 20 deg C
λ = v/f

3. The attempt at a solution

I used the formula λ = v/f and got something similar to 3.38 * 10 ^ -6 meters...kinda small, and the MHz/Hz difference doesnt matter since that is a decimal place thing, which doesn't change the value...anyways..the computer says the answer is 2.96 ....anybody know why?

so i moved on to the next subproblem:

What is the frequency of a sound source that produces the same wavelength in 20 deg C air?

The answer is 116 Hz , which makes sense once you use 2.96 and Vsound = 343 and manipulate the formula. And since the question asks about 20 deg C, I then thought that perhaps the first question was refering to 0 deg C, but still I didnt get 2.96, so it is still incorrect... what am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Mysterious source of ozone-depleting chemical baffles NASA
Water leads to chemical that gunks up biofuels production
How lizards regenerate their tails: Researchers discover genetic 'recipe'
Kurdt
Sep22-07, 04:25 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,980
A radio station broadcasts radio waves which are EM waves not sound waves. Thus v for the radio station will be the speed of light.
aliaze1
Sep22-07, 04:54 PM
P: 177
......................oh lol

thanks!!!

Register to reply