Find an FM Radio station's wavelength, frequency given

by aliaze1
Tags: frequency, radio, solved, station, wavelength
Share this thread:
aliaze1
Sep22-07, 04:02 PM
P: 177
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An FM radio station broadcasts at a frequency of 101.3 MHz. What is the wavelength?

2. Relevant equations

Vsound = 343m/s @ 20 deg C
λ = v/f

3. The attempt at a solution

I used the formula λ = v/f and got something similar to 3.38 * 10 ^ -6 meters...kinda small, and the MHz/Hz difference doesnt matter since that is a decimal place thing, which doesn't change the value...anyways..the computer says the answer is 2.96 ....anybody know why?

so i moved on to the next subproblem:

What is the frequency of a sound source that produces the same wavelength in 20 deg C air?

The answer is 116 Hz , which makes sense once you use 2.96 and Vsound = 343 and manipulate the formula. And since the question asks about 20 deg C, I then thought that perhaps the first question was refering to 0 deg C, but still I didnt get 2.96, so it is still incorrect... what am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Smart material' chin strap harvests energy from chewing
King Richard III died painfully on battlefield
Capturing ancient Maya sites from both a rat's and a 'bat's eye view'
Kurdt
Sep22-07, 04:25 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,980
A radio station broadcasts radio waves which are EM waves not sound waves. Thus v for the radio station will be the speed of light.
aliaze1
Sep22-07, 04:54 PM
P: 177
......................oh lol

thanks!!!

Register to reply