Register to reply

Good intro electrical engineering textbook?

by psycovic23
Tags: electrical, engineering, intro, textbook
Share this thread:
psycovic23
Oct8-07, 02:28 PM
P: 48
Hey,
I'm currently in an intro to EE course, and our textbook is horrendous (Hambley's Electrical Engineering Principles and Applications). Does anyone have a suggestion on a better alternative that provides a lot of practice problems/answers?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Philips introduces BlueTouch, PulseRelief control for pain relief
3-D printing leads to another advance in make-it-yourself lab equipment
Nanoscience makes your wine better
NoTime
Oct8-07, 08:19 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,571
Berkeman, the moderator for this forum, recommends

"The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill

as a good intro level book.
berkeman
Oct9-07, 01:17 AM
Mentor
P: 41,320
Quote Quote by NoTime View Post
Berkeman, the moderator for this forum, recommends

"The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill

as a good intro level book.
Thanks NoTime. The AofE is more of a basic electronics textbook instead of an intro EE text, though. I still recommend reading it cover to cover no matter what you are studying in electronics, though. And I fround out about it because it was in the textbook bookshelf of a buddy who went through MIT.

To the original poster (OP) -- what subjects are you looking to find an augmentation text fo within EE?

psycovic23
Oct9-07, 04:49 PM
P: 48
Good intro electrical engineering textbook?

I tried reading through AoE once, but it was way over my head.

@Berkeman - None in particular, just a better intro EE book as a whole. The textbook I'm using now has really poor examples and very few practice problems.
NoTime
Oct9-07, 09:34 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,571
Quote Quote by psycovic23 View Post
I tried reading through AoE once, but it was way over my head.

@Berkeman - None in particular, just a better intro EE book as a whole. The textbook I'm using now has really poor examples and very few practice problems.
It's been forever since I took Intro to EE.
I don't know what they cover nowadays, but then it was mostly about voltage, current, resistance and the mathematical relationships between the three. Plus how to use some test equipment.

If you have had no prior experience with these concepts they can be tough to comprehend.

Perhaps if you post a question with what you think about the particular item you are asking about.
DefaultName
Oct10-07, 07:12 AM
P: 181
we used Electrical Engineering Uncovered.. book was ok - try that out.
stewartcs
Oct10-07, 08:56 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,284
This book provides the fundamentals you'll need to get started with an electrical engineering course. At least I thought so after reading it...

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-E.../dp/1418000205

Register to reply