Non-conservaite force and Kinetic Energy

by Oliviam12
Tags: energy, force, kinetic, nonconservaite
Share this thread:
Oliviam12
Oct24-07, 11:03 AM
P: 28
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
True/False If a non-conservative force acts on an object, its kinetic energy must increase.

2. Relevant equations
?

3. The attempt at a solution
I don't really understand the question, especially the part about a non-conservative force? I thought all forces were conserved, or am I confusing that with something else? However, I think the answer might be True but, the only reasoning behing that is that kinetic energy seems like it would increase over any force...
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Pilot sites in energy from coffee waste show good results
Startups offer banking for smartphone users
Factor in naked mole rat's cells enhances protein integrity
D H
Oct24-07, 11:28 AM
Mentor
P: 15,167
Forces aren't conserved. Conserved quantities in classical physics include mass, energy, linear momentum, and angular momentum. What does your text say about nonconservative forces? What is a good example of a nonconservative force?
Oliviam12
Oct24-07, 12:09 PM
I don't really have a text yet... I am taking the class online and the online e-text is incompleate and unhelpful (I ordered a recommended book and it should be in within the week.) But, the only mention of nonconservative forces is "The work done by a nonconservative force depends on the path through which the force acts." and I read online that an example of a nonconservative force is friction.

Oliviam12
Oct24-07, 12:35 PM
Non-conservaite force and Kinetic Energy

Never mind, I just happened upon it online. Thanks anyway!

Register to reply