Register to reply

Where the total electric field is equal to zero?

by barrett
Tags: electric, equal, field
Share this thread:
barrett
Nov1-07, 01:45 PM
P: 2
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Two point charges of -2.5 C and 6.0 C lying along the x axis are 1.0 m apart. Locate the point (other than infinity) at which the total electric field is zero.

2. Relevant equations
I was thinking: E=F/q
and
F=K (Q x q)/d^2
But I'm not quite sure how to use them.

3. The attempt at a solution
Using the second equation I found F to be -.135. But I don't think that's right, and then when plugging that into the E=F/q. E would have to be zero, since I'm trying to find where the total electric field is zero? Then there's no solutions other than infinity, are there? And what exactly is q in the first equation. I really have no idea what's going on here.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Office life' of bacteria may be their weak spot
Lunar explorers will walk at higher speeds than thought
Philips introduces BlueTouch, PulseRelief control for pain relief
qspeechc
Nov1-07, 02:01 PM
P: 792
If the electric field is zero, is it the case that the force is also zero? So find the point(s) where the net electric force or field is zero.
barrett
Nov1-07, 03:43 PM
P: 2
I found an example online and I think I substituted the right numbers in for this problem, is this how it would be solved? (I didn't understand the equation below and where it came from: KQ/x-2.4KQ/(x+1.00))

Enet=Esub1 + Esub2 = KQ/x-2.4KQ/(x+1.00)
KQ/x-2.4KQ/(x+1.00)

The Ks and Qs cancel out leaving:
1/x = 2.4/(x+1.00)

And then get it into a quadratic:
1.4x - 2x -1=0

And find it to be 1.82 m to the left of charge Q. I ignored the other root, -.39m because that would be between the two charges where the fields cannot cancel out.
Am I on the right track?

Register to reply