quasar987
Nov11-07, 03:15 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 4,772
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Question:

Let L be a linear functional/form on a real Banach space X and let {x_k} be a sequence of vectors such that L(x_k) converges. Can I conclude that {x_k} has a limit in X?

It would help me greatly in solving a certain problem if I knew the answer to that question.

3. The attempt at a solution

The natural approach is to try to show that {x_k} is Cauchy.

Since the sequence of real numbers {L(x_k)} converges, then it is Cauchy, so for n,k large enough,

[tex]|L(x_k)-L(x_n)|=|L(x_k - x_n)|<\epsilon[/tex]

Now what??
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
ZioX
Nov11-07, 03:25 PM
P: 371
If L is not invertible what can happen?
morphism
Nov11-07, 03:27 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,020
edit: removing my too explicit hint.

ZioX
Nov11-07, 03:30 PM
P: 371
Linear forms and complete metric space

Boo. I'm sure he could have figured it out on his own.

What is the particular quandary?

Edit: Suppose L is invertible! What can you say then?
quasar987
Nov11-07, 03:39 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
Too late morphism! :D
quasar987
Nov11-07, 03:42 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
Anyway, guys, in the problem I'm working on, I must show that in a particular situation, the x_k do have a limit in X.

Are you willing to help with the general problem?

If so, I will type it out. Not very long, but a little complicated notation-wise.
quasar987
Nov11-07, 04:00 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
It's at the core, a problem on measure theory.

Let [tex]\mathcal{L}^2(\mathbb{R})[/tex] denote the space of square-integrable functions f on R (with respect to the Lebesgue sigma-algebra and Lebesgue measure [itex]\lambda[/itex]) and let [tex]\mathcal{L}^2_{\lambda}(\mathbb{R})[/tex] denote the space of their equivalence classes f where f=g if f=g almost everywhere. [f]+[g]=[f+g] and c[f]=[cf] are well defined.

Now with the norm

[tex]||\mathbf{f}||_2=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}|f(x)|^2dx[/tex]

[tex](\mathcal{L}^2_{\lambda}(\mathbb{R}),||||_2)[/tex] is a real Banach space.

A continuous linear form on [tex](\mathcal{L}^2_{\lambda}(\mathbb{R}),||||_2)[/tex] is a linear form [tex]L:\mathcal{L}^2_{\lambda}(\mathbb{R})\rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/tex] such that

[tex]||L||=\sup\left\{\frac{|L(\mathbf{f})|}{||\mathbf{f}||_2}: \mathbf{f}\neq \mathbf{0}\right\}=\sup\left\{|L(\mathbf{f})|:||\mathbf{f}||_2=1\right\ }<+\infty[/tex]

Now consider a sequence [tex]\mathbf{g}_k\in \mathcal{L}^2_{\lambda}(\mathbb{R})[/tex] be such that

[tex]||\mathbf{g}_k||_2=1[/tex] and [tex]\lim_{k\rightarrow\infty}L(\mathbf{g}_k)=||L||[/tex]

Show that [tex]\mathbf{g}_k[/tex] has a limit in [tex]\mathcal{L}^2_{\lambda}(\mathbb{R})[/tex].
morphism
Nov11-07, 08:39 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Is L a fixed functional? If so, I don't think this is true. Try constructing a counterexample using the zero functional.
quasar987
Nov11-07, 09:00 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
Apologies!

There is an additional hypothese! L is a non-identically vanishing functional!
morphism
Nov11-07, 09:43 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
I'm tempted to use the Riesz representation theorem: we know there is a nonzero f in L^2 such that L(g)=<f,g> for all g in L^2, and ||L||=||f||_2.

Now consider ||f - g_n||[itex]_2^2[/itex]. (Hint: apply the polarization identity, and use the fact that <f,g_n> -> ||f||.) Try to see if you can guess what (g_n) converges to using this.
quasar987
Nov12-07, 12:04 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
We are not to use this theorem in this problem, because in a sense, the whole problem sheet comes down to showing explicitely that the Riesz representation theorem hold in the case of L². No prior knowledge of functional analysis should be needed to do this problem.

Someone told me he succeeded in answering this question by effectively proving that the sequence g_k was Cauchy!
morphism
Nov13-07, 08:35 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Did you manage to do it without Riesz?
quasar987
Nov13-07, 04:30 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
Yes, with the help of aforementioned person. :)

With the parallelogram identity, we reduce the problem to showing [tex]||\mathbf{g}_k+\mathbf{g}_{k+p}||_2^2 \rightarrow 4[/tex]

Then notice that because ||L|| is the sup,

[tex]\frac{L(\mathbf{g}_k+\mathbf{g}_{k+p})}{||\mathbf{g}_k+\mathbf{g}_{k+p} ||_2}\leq ||L|| \ \ \ \ \ \ (*)[/tex]

On the other hand, write out the facts that L(g_k)-->||L|| and L(g_{k+p})-->||L|| and add the inequalities to obtain

[tex]L(\mathbf{g}_k+\mathbf{g}_{k+p})>2(||L||-\epsilon')[/tex]

Combine with equation (*) to obtain an inequality involving [tex]||\mathbf{g}_k+\mathbf{g}_{k+p}||_2[/tex] and [tex]\epsilon'[/tex]. Show that to any [tex]\epsilon>0[/tex], you can find an [tex]\epsilon'(\epsilon)[/tex] such that [tex]4-||\mathbf{g}_k+\mathbf{g}_{k+p}||_2^2<\epsilon^2[/tex] for k large enough.

Register to reply