Register to reply

Water psi effect on boat transducer

by captain chris
Tags: boat, effect, transducer, water
Share this thread:
captain chris
Nov18-07, 09:19 AM
P: 2
I am seeking a general answer relative to boat speed and psi effect on a transducer. I understand many variables affect this, ie, salinity, current, etc. Assuming a transducer mounted on the back of a boat hangs below into the water 1/4", water forces increase against this object as boat speed increases. The transducer is purposely 'egg-shaped" and mounted longitudinally to reduce drag. I am seeking round-about psi water force on the face surface of the transducer of approximately 2" sq (max), in 10 mph increments from 10 to 80mph. I am looking for a backup theory to assist in substantiating what I now believe to be somewhat accurate. There is likely no way to compute accurately, but close is workable. I am not schooled in physics, so, the simpler the better. Thanks!!!
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New study refines biological evolution model
Fiber optic light pipes in the retina do much more than simple image transfer
Production phase for LSST camera sensors nears
FredGarvin
Nov18-07, 12:09 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,095
What kind of transducer are you referring to? What is the purpose of the transducer? Without an exact shape, the only quick and dirty way to calculate the forces acting on that would be to simulate it as a flat plate which will give you higher forces and thus be inaccurate.
captain chris
Nov18-07, 04:21 PM
P: 2
Fred,

The shape is commonly elliptical, to facilitate lessening drag. I believe I likened it to an "egg'shape". Just picture maybe 1/4 of an egg below the bottom at the stern of a boat dragging in the water 1/4" below the bottom. The 'egg" (or transducer) would be positioned where the ergonomic ends would point fore and aft. It could be any kind of transducer for sonar, or camera, or maybe microphone, but would trail behind a boat at float or at a faster speed as I have indicated. Thanks!

Register to reply