Rotational Motion and Angular Displacement

In summary, a stroboscope is a flashing light that can be used to make a rotating object appear stationary. To determine the shortest and next shortest times between flashes for a three-bladed propeller rotating at 12.6 rev/s, one needs to convert the angular velocity to radians/s and use the equation ω=(∆θ)/(∆t). The correct answer for the shortest time is 0.166 s.
wchvball13

Homework Statement

A stroboscope is a light that flashes on and off at a constant rate. It can be used to illuminate a rotating object, and if the flashing rate is adjusted properly, the object can be made to appear stationary.

(a) What is the shortest time between flashes of light that will make a three-bladed propeller appear stationary when it is rotating with an angular speed of 12.6 rev/s?

(b) What is the next shortest time?

Homework Equations

ω=(∆θ)/(∆t)

The Attempt at a Solution

I took ∆θ = ⅓ rev (2pi radians/1 rev) = 2.09 radians
then I used ω=(∆θ)/(∆t)...
12.6 = (2.09/t) which gives me t=.166

What I did makes sense to me, but the answer is wrong so obviously I am too...Don't know what else to do...

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you have an issue with unit consistency. You have put the angular displacement in radians, but the angular velocity is in rev/s. Change velocity to rad/s.

i'm retarded...

THANKS!

wchvball13 said:
i'm retarded...

No, no...don't be so hard on yourself. I like to refer to these moments as "Brain Farts". Not quite as permanent!

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or a fixed point. It is also known as circular motion, and it can be described in terms of angular displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

2. What is angular displacement?

Angular displacement is a measure of the change in an object's rotational position. It is usually measured in degrees or radians and can be calculated by taking the difference between the initial and final angular positions.

3. How is rotational motion different from linear motion?

Rotational motion involves movement along a curved path, while linear motion involves movement along a straight path. Additionally, rotational motion is described in terms of angular displacement, velocity, and acceleration, while linear motion is described in terms of linear displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

4. What is the relationship between angular displacement and linear displacement?

Angular displacement and linear displacement are related by the distance from the axis of rotation. As the distance from the axis increases, the same angular displacement will result in a larger linear displacement.

5. How is angular displacement measured?

Angular displacement is typically measured using an instrument called an angle encoder, which measures the angle of rotation between two points. It can also be measured using a protractor or a rotary motion sensor.