Register to reply

Buoyancy in oil/water

by ncote
Tags: buoyancy, oil or water
Share this thread:
ncote
Dec5-07, 02:42 PM
P: 7
1. A solid cylinder (radius = 0.150 m, height = 0.120 m) has a mass of 6.90 kg. This cylinder is floating in water. Then oil ( = 725 kg/m3) is poured on top of the water until the situation shown in the drawing results. How much of the height of the cylinder is in the oil?

2. (p)water(g)(V)water + (p) oil(g)(V) oil= mg
(V)water+ (V)oil= (V)cylinder
(h)oil= (V)oil/area of cylinder

3. using what i was given, i was able to calculate the area and volume of the cyclinder, which was easy enough. i know that once i use the first equation to get the volume of the oil im supposed to subtract it from the volume of the cylinder. unfortunately im not sure how to figure out the volume of the oil using the equation we were given (the first one i listed)
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
What lit up the universe?
Sheepdogs use just two simple rules to round up large herds of sheep
Animals first flex their muscles
Shooting Star
Dec5-07, 02:49 PM
HW Helper
P: 1,979
I can't see any drawing.
ncote
Dec5-07, 03:23 PM
P: 7
Quote Quote by Shooting star View Post
I can't see any drawing.

Shooting Star
Dec5-07, 04:02 PM
HW Helper
P: 1,979
Buoyancy in oil/water

Total buoyant force upward = weight of water displaced + weight of oil displaced. Is this enough for you to proceed?

Take h as the height of the cylinder in oil. Then H-h is in water, where H is ht of cylinder. Try it out.

Register to reply