Drop in Concentration as reaction progresses

In summary, the conversation is about an investigation into the reaction between different acids and magnesium metal. The goal is to show that using a large volume of acid reduces the concentration drop as the reaction progresses. The suggested solution is to calculate the moles of H+ ions present at the beginning and end of the reaction and track the concentration of acid over time. The speaker has already found the number of moles of H+ ions and the percentage drop in concentration, but it is not significant. It is then mentioned that the reaction rate may also be affected by the shrinking metal surface area.
jaz1409

Homework Statement

I am currently doing an investigation into the reaction between different acids and magnesium metal. I want to try and show that by using a large volume of acid the concentration drop as the reaction progresses is significantly reduced. Is there any way of doing this?

Homework Equations

Mg (s) + 2 HCl (aq) --> H2 (g) + MgCl2 (aq)
Mg (s) + 2 H+ (aq) --> H2 (g) + Mg+2 (aq)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I thought that by working out the moles of H+ ions present at the beginning of the reaction and at the end of the reaction may help. Other than that, I would just like to be pointed in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could remove an aliquot of solution at several intervals and titrate the acid. Plot the concentration of acid vs time for your result.

The results might surprise you, though...

well, so far I have found out the number of moles of HCL in 100cm3 of acid and then found the number of moles of H+ ions. I then found the percentage drop.

What did you notice about the reaction rate?

well, I worked out that the maximum drop in concentration theoretically was 5.20% which for a concentration of 0.8 M is not significant.

Thats what I thought would happen. Also, the metal surface area is shrinking during the reaction. This will cause the greatest change in rate of reaction.

1. What causes a drop in concentration as a reaction progresses?

As a reaction progresses, reactants are converted into products. This means that the concentration of the reactants decreases while the concentration of the products increases. This change in concentration is due to the consumption of reactants and the formation of products.

2. How does the rate of reaction affect the drop in concentration?

The rate of reaction, or how fast the reaction takes place, can impact the drop in concentration. A faster rate of reaction means that reactants will be consumed more quickly, resulting in a steeper drop in concentration over time.

3. Is the drop in concentration consistent throughout the reaction?

No, the drop in concentration is not consistent throughout the reaction. In most cases, the rate of reaction will decrease as the reaction progresses, resulting in a slower drop in concentration over time.

4. Can the drop in concentration be used to determine the progress of a reaction?

Yes, the drop in concentration can be used to determine the progress of a reaction. By measuring the change in concentration over time, scientists can determine the rate at which the reaction is occurring and how much of the reactants have been converted into products.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the drop in concentration?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the drop in concentration as a reaction progresses. These include temperature, concentration of reactants, presence of catalysts, and the nature of the reactants and products involved in the reaction.