Register to reply

How can radiation be stopped by different materials?

by sciencefreak
Tags: materials, radiation, stopped
Share this thread:
sciencefreak
Dec18-07, 12:09 PM
P: 2
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Hi guys
First post here. Im currently trying to complete a BTEC science assignment and have come across a question in which i just can not find the answers to. Ive been searching it up on the internet and cant find any information. Here it is:
Research how each of the different types of radiation can be stopped by different materials.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
I have managed to find out the three different types of radiation which are: Alpha, Beta and Gamma. I have also found out that their penentration ability has a key role in how they can be stopped but apart from that i cant find anything.
If anybody could help it would be a great help and greatly appreciated
Many thanks in advance
Sciencefreak.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
dwintz02
Dec18-07, 02:25 PM
P: 60
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_radiation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_radiation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_radiation

A little ways down it'll say something about how each type is stopped.

If anything is still hazy after you look through those websites, just ask.
PhanthomJay
Dec18-07, 02:42 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 6,036
Quote Quote by sciencefreak View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Hi guys
First post here. Im currently trying to complete a BTEC science assignment and have come across a question in which i just can not find the answers to. Ive been searching it up on the internet and cant find any information. Here it is:
Research how each of the different types of radiation can be stopped by different materials.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
I have managed to find out the three different types of radiation which are: Alpha, Beta and Gamma. I have also found out that their penentration ability has a key role in how they can be stopped but apart from that i cant find anything.
If anybody could help it would be a great help and greatly appreciated
Many thanks in advance
Sciencefreak.
Your best bet is to google again. Apha and beta radiation are much more easily shielded than gamma radiation. The effectiveness of a material to shield against gamma radiation depends primarily on its density and thickness. Lead is a good (one of the best) shield because of its high density; concrete is also often used for shielding in nuclear power plants, but because its density is only about 20% of lead, you would require about a 5 inch thickness of concrete to get the same shielding level as 1 inch thick lead. I recall using steel plate as a shield; its density being three times that of concrete, 1 inch steel plate would be equivalent to 3 inch thick concrete. The actual thickness of any given material required for adequate shielding would depend not only on its density, but the amount of the source radiation level, and distance from that source. Beyond this info, google again!

sciencefreak
Dec18-07, 03:28 PM
P: 2
How can radiation be stopped by different materials?

Thank you both of you, as i said before its greatly appreciated. I have used the links dwintz02, however they dont seem to actually say how they are stopped by the materials. Is there any chance you would know how this process of stopping the radiation actually happens?. If not dont worry and thanks for you earlier help.
kind regards
Sciencefreak.

Register to reply