how to measure parasitic capacitance between rf cable and metal surface

by amr_sayed
Tags: cable, capacitance, measure, metal, parasitic, surface
amr_sayed
Dec24-07, 01:51 AM
P: 2
dear all

can anyone tell me..
if i have a transmission line passed above a metalic surface, there will be a parasitic capacitance between the line and the surface. and it induces interference how can i measure it.
and if there is any refrenece about the allowable induce voltage interference for this capacitance.

thank you
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
A smart prosthetic knee with in-vivo diagnoses
Old tires become material for new and improved roads
Students take clot-buster for a spin
berkeman
Dec26-07, 11:32 AM
Mentor
P: 39,683
What kind of transmission line are you asking about? Are you asking about AC Mains high voltage power lines, or signal level coax, or balanced twin lead low-voltage cable (like TV antenna cable), or what?

And why would just passing above a metal surface induce interference? Is there some inherent noise present on the metal surface with respect to something else?
capnahab
Dec27-07, 07:25 PM
P: 79
The easiest way is to measure power factor. Good thing I can spell it.

amr_sayed
Dec30-07, 03:07 AM
P: 2

how to measure parasitic capacitance between rf cable and metal surface

it is an rf cable connected by antenna like TV antenna cable. the cable is passed above metal surface that may be charged like aircraft metallic surface
berkeman
Dec31-07, 11:02 AM
Mentor
Quote Quote by amr_sayed View Post
it is an rf cable connected by antenna like TV antenna cable. the cable is passed above metal surface that may be charged like aircraft metallic surface
If you have an unshielded balanced transmittion line, and you are worried about interference from a nearby source, consider using a balun at the antenna to match to coax. A coaxial transmission line is much less sensitive to noise sources.
dlgoff
Dec31-07, 06:46 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,633
I'm thinking he's talking about coaxial cable; if it will get interference/coupling from having it pass over a metal roof or something.
berkeman
Dec31-07, 07:03 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by dlgoff View Post
I'm thinking he's talking about coaxial cable; if it will get interference/coupling from having it pass over a metal roof or something.
It shouldn't, as long as a good balun is used at the antenna end (for balanced-to-unbalanced conversion), and as long as the receiving end is well shielded with a good coax shield termination.
dlgoff
Jan1-08, 09:35 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,633
That was my thought. Wikipedia has a good page on Coaxial Cable.

Register to reply