Register to reply

Separation of time and space

by Fu Lin
Tags: separation, space, time
Share this thread:
Fu Lin
Dec29-07, 10:48 AM
P: 6
In pde, it seems to me all kinds of equations about nature phenomena have the property that time and space derivatives are separate. For example, u_t = u_xx, heat equation. So I wonder, is that always the case in nature? I mean, do you guys ever see equation describing real nature mechanism but has mixed derivatives involved, ie, has a term like u_tx? If not, is there a reason for that?

This might be a silly question, but thanks in advance.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
HallsofIvy
Dec29-07, 11:00 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,361
It's not clear t me what you mean by "separate". Do you mean "no mixed derivatives", like u_xt?The heat equation in 3 space dimensions, [itex]u_t= u_{xx}+ u_{yy}+ u_{zz}[/itex] have the other space variables as "separate" as x and t. That depends entirely on your choice of coordinate system- not "nature".
Fu Lin
Dec29-07, 11:27 AM
Quote Quote by HallsofIvy View Post
It's not clear t me what you mean by "separate". Do you mean "no mixed derivatives", like u_xt?The heat equation in 3 space dimensions, [itex]u_t= u_{xx}+ u_{yy}+ u_{zz}[/itex] have the other space variables as "separate" as x and t. That depends entirely on your choice of coordinate system- not "nature".
Yes, I mean mixed derivatives both in time and space, like [itex] u_{tx} [/itex]. For example, an equation like [itex] u_{t} = u_{tx} + u_{xx}. [/itex]

Rainbow Child
Dec29-07, 12:39 PM
P: 365
Separation of time and space

Quote Quote by Fu Lin View Post
... So I wonder, is that always the case in nature? I mean, do you guys ever see equation describing real nature mechanism but has mixed derivatives involved, ie, has a term like u_tx? ...
The ultimate example is General Relativity. It mixes up all kind of derivatives, and in a non-linear way!!!
HallsofIvy
Dec29-07, 04:14 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,361
Quote Quote by Fu Lin View Post
Yes, I mean mixed derivatives both in time and space, like [itex] u_{tx} [/itex]. For example, an equation like [itex] u_{t} = u_{tx} + u_{xx}. [/itex]
Then, as I said above, it depends entirely upon your choice of coordinates. It is always possible to find coordinate axes, in the "principal directions" that avoid mixed derivatives. It has nothing to do with "nature" or space and time.
Fu Lin
Dec29-07, 05:43 PM
Quote Quote by HallsofIvy View Post
Then, as I said above, it depends entirely upon your choice of coordinates. It is always possible to find coordinate axes, in the "principal directions" that avoid mixed derivatives. It has nothing to do with "nature" or space and time.
Is it possible to give an example? Say, heat equation, can we change coordinate to come up a mixed derivative term? Or any example to illustrate your idea? thanks
Fu Lin
Dec29-07, 05:44 PM
Quote Quote by Rainbow Child View Post
The ultimate example is General Relativity. It mixes up all kind of derivatives, and in a non-linear way!!!
thanks for reply. I have no idea about general relativity. Could you provide an easy example?

Register to reply