Some of my Winter Break physics problems

In summary, the conversation is about solving physics problems related to electric potential and using equations such as V = Kq/r and work = qV = U. The first problem involves finding the potential at points A and B, as well as the work done by the electric field on a charge traveling from B to A. The second problem involves using Gauss' law to find the electric field and using integration to find the potential at different distances from the center of a charged sphere. The conversation also includes discussions on dot products and choosing a path for integration.
totalmajor
[SOLVED] Some of my Winter Break physics problems

Hey guys, I'm new to this site, and as the way things are going with my physics class, this won't be my last request for help lol.

Well anyway, our teacher assigned us a few problems to do over break, and since I have a week left I decided to start doing them now..

The first problem looks like this:

-------------------------------------------------------
Two point charges q1 = +2.20 nC and q2 = -6.50 nC are 0.100 m apart. Point A is midway between them and point B is 0.080 m from q1 and 0.060 m from q2 (Fig. 23.29). Take the electric potential to be zero at infinity.

(a) Find the potential at point A. **right**
(b) Find the potential at point B. **right**
(c) Find the work done by the electric field on a charge of 2.50 nC that travels from point B to point A.

-----------------------------------------

I got A and B right, but C I've got no clue how to do.. I was going over my notes and saw some sort of integration stuff, but I can't figure out how to do any of that!

================================

A total electric charge of 2.10 nC is distributed uniformly over the surface of a metal sphere with a radius of 36.0 cm. If the potential is zero at a point at infinity, find the value of the potential at the following distances from the center of the sphere.

(a) 48.0 cm
(b) 36.0 cm
(c) 12.0 cm

This one, I've got NO CLUE how to do at all...
I know the basic equations v=U/q but what do you plug in where!?

I guess I'll just leave it at these two for now until I get these right...

Thanks alot!
Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the potential difference between B and A? What does the product of the potential difference and the charge give you?

For first part use equation for points (A and B) V = Kq/r for Work = qV = U, so it will be q(Vb-Va)

For part two use Intergral of E dot dr should be equation in book

Last edited:
I don't know, do I do it the same way as i did for A and B?

How do you figure out the distance though?

Here's basically what I have on paper..
http://irollerblade.org/physics/phys.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well if you have the potential at A,[itex]V_A[/itex], and the potential at B,[itex]V_B[/itex]. What is the potential difference? when you get that all you need to do is multiply by the charge that you moving from B to A

Okay thanks alot!
First problem is completely finished

But the second one I don't get..
I looked up the equation you were talking about
W(ab) = Integral of E(dot) dr

There's an example with something to do with infinity and r/2, for the first one it's zero, and the second one is r/2 so do i divide the radius by 2 and then multiply it by the what?

I'm sorry..

Use gauss law to find E, the "r/2 and infinity" are just different limits of integration.

Yeah I'm sorry but I don't get it..
E would be Q/4*pi*E(naught)
right?
But what do you multiply that by??

Your E is wrong missing R squared.
"But what do you multiply that by??" how do you simplify a dot product? (hint: you can choose any path for dr, and you know how the vector field E looks like)

oh woops yeah I did forget R squared
so for vector path dr I'd put .48m because that's what they're looking for?
So .48Q/4piEnaughtRsquared?

Sorry, I'm just terrible at gaussian surfaces.. I never really understood how to do them

For this case dr it is just the integration operator. And since you want from V(0m) - V(.48m) = integral of E dot dr, your limits would be 0 -> .48m (you might have to split it into two integrals, since you cannot have 1/0)

Last edited:
i got it!
thanks alot!

1. What is the purpose of "Some of my Winter Break physics problems"?

The purpose of "Some of my Winter Break physics problems" is to provide a collection of physics problems for students to practice and improve their understanding of various concepts in physics during their winter break.

2. Who can benefit from "Some of my Winter Break physics problems"?

Students of all levels, from high school to college, can benefit from "Some of my Winter Break physics problems". These problems cover a wide range of topics and difficulty levels, making them suitable for students at different stages of their physics education.

3. Are the problems in "Some of my Winter Break physics problems" based on real-world applications?

Yes, many of the problems in "Some of my Winter Break physics problems" are based on real-world applications and scenarios. This allows students to see the practical applications of the concepts they are learning and helps them develop a deeper understanding of the subject.

4. Are the solutions to the problems provided?

Yes, the solutions to all the problems in "Some of my Winter Break physics problems" are provided. This allows students to check their work and see where they may have made mistakes. It also serves as a valuable learning tool to see the correct approach and solution to a problem.

5. Can "Some of my Winter Break physics problems" be used for group study?

Yes, "Some of my Winter Break physics problems" can be used for group study. The problems can be solved collaboratively, and the discussions and debates that arise can lead to a deeper understanding of the concepts. However, it is important for each student to attempt the problems individually first before discussing them in a group.