Is it time to rethink our reliance on oil?

• News
  • Thread starter slugcountry
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oil
In summary, the conversation discusses the lack of efficient public transportation and the benefits of owning a fuel-efficient car. The speakers mention the Honda Civic Diesel and its high mpg, as well as the price of biodiesel. They also mention their own car's mileage and the availability of free public transportation for students. One speaker mentions not owning a car for three years and saving money on gas, while another mentions owning a Civic Hybrid. Finally, the conversation ends with a comment about former Vice President Cheney.
slugcountry
Well it finally happened. I'm still going to be driving my car around though, as there's no adequate and timely public transport to get me to and from where I need to go.

Still you would think somethings got to give.

Physics news on Phys.org
According to Newsweek, the Honda Civic Diesel get 55 mpg in combined highway and city driving, which is 5 mpg better than their gasoline powered hybrid. The price of biodiesel is about $3.00 a gallon in the US.

My Mariner hybrid still averages 33+ MPG (DLMG)!

DLMG = Driving Like My Grandma

I don't know what my 1.2L Citroen diesel did 10years ago - I can't remember ever having to fill it up!

slugcountry said:
Well it finally happened. I'm still going to be driving my car around though, as there's no adequate and timely public transport to get me to and from where I need to go.

Still you would think somethings got to give.

Too bad. They have pretty good public transportation here at Florida State/Tallahassee, 100% free for students. I haven't owned a car in three years and have probably saved over a thousand dollars in gas money.

Looks like Cheney'll be celebrating. We have a Civic Hybrid, its pretty cool.

1. What are the consequences of our reliance on oil?

Our reliance on oil has several consequences, including negative impacts on the environment, economy, and national security. The burning of fossil fuels for energy releases greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, contributing to climate change. The fluctuation of oil prices can also have a significant impact on the global economy. Finally, relying on oil for energy makes countries vulnerable to supply disruptions and political instability in oil-producing regions.

2. How much longer can we rely on oil as our primary source of energy?

It is difficult to determine an exact timeline, as it depends on various factors such as technological advancements, global energy demand, and government policies. However, experts estimate that at our current rate of consumption, the world's proven oil reserves could run out in the next 50-70 years.

3. What are some alternative energy sources to replace oil?

There are several alternative energy sources that can potentially replace oil, including renewable sources such as solar, wind, hydro, and geothermal energy. These sources are considered more sustainable and environmentally friendly compared to fossil fuels. Other alternatives include nuclear energy and biofuels, although they also have their limitations and drawbacks.

4. What are the challenges in transitioning away from oil?

Transitioning away from oil as our primary source of energy is a complex and challenging process. It requires significant investments in infrastructure, technology, and policy changes. Additionally, the oil industry is deeply ingrained in our global economy, making it difficult to shift to alternative sources. There may also be resistance from those who benefit from the current system of oil production and consumption.

5. Is it realistic to completely eliminate our reliance on oil?

While it may not be feasible to completely eliminate our reliance on oil, it is possible to significantly reduce it. This would require a combination of efforts, including investing in alternative energy sources, improving energy efficiency, and implementing policies to promote sustainable energy practices. It may also involve changing our lifestyles and consumption habits to reduce our overall energy demand.