opous
Jan3-08, 11:36 AM
P: 16
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use the Klein-Gordon Equation to show that

[tex]\partial_{\mu}j^{\mu} = 0[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

KG:

[tex]\left(\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial t^{2}} - \nabla^{2} + m^{2}\right) \phi = (\partial_{\mu}\partial^{\mu} + m^{2}) \phi = 0[/tex]

j:

[tex]j^{\mu} = \frac{i}{2m} \left[\phi^{*}(\partial^{\mu} \phi) - (\partial^{\mu} \phi^{*}) \phi]\right[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

OK, so I've expanded j out, taking the differentials and have the following for my components:

time component:

[tex]\frac{i}{2m} \left[\phi^{*} \frac{\partial^{2} \phi}{\partial t^{2}} - \phi \frac{\partial^{2} \phi^{*}}{\partial t^{2}}\right][/tex]

space components:

[tex]\frac{i}{2m} \left[- \phi^{*} \frac{\partial^{2} \phi}{\partial r^{2}} + \phi \frac{\partial^{2} \phi^{*}}{\partial r^{2}}\right][/tex]

(where I've used r = (x,y,z) )

Putting them in this form:

[tex]\frac{i \phi^{*}}{2m} \left[\frac{\partial^{2} \phi}{\partial t^{2}} - \frac{\partial^{2} \phi}{\partial r^{2}}\right] - \frac{i \phi}{2m} \left[\frac{\partial^{2} \phi^{*}}{\partial t^{2}} - \frac{\partial^{2} \phi^{*}}{\partial r^{2}}\right][/tex]

Which looks slightly more like the KG equation. However, my trouble is with the mass terms, I have no (mass) terms to complete the KG equation and hence show the desired expression is zero. Can anyone see what I'm missing here?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA's space station Robonaut finally getting legs
Free the seed: OSSI nurtures growing plants without patent barriers
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
Dick
Jan3-08, 01:56 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 25,170
Don't expand out components, just compute [tex]\partial_{\mu}j^{\mu}[/tex] expanding the partial using the product rule. You can reduce parts using the Klein-Gordon equation and then they and the other parts will cancel.

Register to reply