Register to reply

Perfect square?

by Holocene
Tags: perfect, square
Share this thread:
Holocene
Jan7-08, 12:07 AM
P: 231
Is a perfect square only "perfect" if the root is a whole number? Or does the term just dictate that decimals must eventually terminate?

For instance:

[tex]\displaystyle{\sqrt{59.29} = 7.7}[/tex]
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Fair cake cutting gets its own algorithm
Effort to model Facebook yields key to famous math problem (and a prize)
rocomath
Jan7-08, 12:30 AM
P: 1,755
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_square

Thus a perfect square always has a square root that has no decimal expansion.
HallsofIvy
Jan7-08, 07:00 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,353
A number always has a "decimal expansion". Integers just happen to have all 0s after the decimal point! A "perfect square" is the square of an integer.

52.29 is NOT a perfect square.

dodo
Jan7-08, 11:30 AM
P: 688
Perfect square?

Though 5229 is a perfect square. If you have a rational number as the result of a root, then the thing inside the root is the square of a rational (in this case, (77/10)^2 = 5229/100), so there are two perfect squares involved somewhere. Other than these musings, all the replies above are, of course, right.
HallsofIvy
Jan7-08, 11:33 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Dodo View Post
Though 5229 is a perfect square. If you have a rational number as the result of a root, then the thing inside the root is the square of a rational (in this case, (77/10)^2 = 5229/100), so there are two perfect squares involved somewhere. Other than these musings, all the replies above are, of course, right.
My calculator is under the impression that 772= 5929, not 5229.
dodo
Jan7-08, 11:34 AM
P: 688
Arrgh! Sorry, I just magnified your typo. :D
HallsofIvy
Jan7-08, 01:40 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
Ooops! The original post does say "59.29", not "52.29" so you were right and I was wrong. I hate when that happens!

Register to reply