Register to reply

What makes the electrons move in conductor? (em induction)

by Physicsissuef
Tags: conductor, electrons, induction, makes
Share this thread:
Physicsissuef
Jan7-08, 05:15 PM
P: 910
What makes the electrons move in conductor, while I am moving the magnet among the conductor in closed circular loop? It is the magnetic force from the magnet, but why when I get close the magnet they start moving in direction, oppose of the magnetic force?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Optimum inertial self-propulsion design for snowman-like nanorobot
The Quantum Cheshire Cat: Can neutrons be located at a different place than their own spin?
A transistor-like amplifier for single photons
Doc Al
Jan7-08, 05:35 PM
Mentor
P: 41,316
What moves the electons is the induced electric field created by the moving magnetic field. The current is always induced in a direction to oppose any change in the magnetic flux through the loop. As you move the pole of a magnet towards the loop, you are increasing the flux in the loop--the electrons will move to reduce it.

See: Faraday's Law & Lenz's Law
Physicsissuef
Jan8-08, 03:58 AM
Quote Quote by Doc Al View Post
What moves the electons is the induced electric field created by the moving magnetic field. The current is always induced in a direction to oppose any change in the magnetic flux through the loop. As you move the pole of a magnet towards the loop, you are increasing the flux in the loop--the electrons will move to reduce it.

See: Faraday's Law & Lenz's Law
Why they want to reduce it?

Doc Al
Jan8-08, 05:03 AM
Mentor
What makes the electrons move in conductor? (em induction)

It's a consequence of the conservation of energy. Read those links.
nanoWatt
Jan8-08, 08:04 AM
P: 89
This question made me think. Do only electrons produce an electric field, and what would the electric field be composed of? I am assuming the electric field is continuous with no gaps. I don't think it's solid electrons. I guess it's just some form of energy.
ZapperZ
Jan8-08, 08:07 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 29,239
Quote Quote by nanoWatt View Post
This question made me think. Do only electrons produce an electric field, and what would the electric field be composed of? I am assuming the electric field is continuous with no gaps. I don't think it's solid electrons. I guess it's just some form of energy.
Er.. this may be rather obvious, but protons do have charges too, you know.

And a changing magnetic field also produces electric field, per the Maxwell equations.

Zz.
Physicsissuef
Jan8-08, 09:44 AM
It's a consequence of the conservation of energy. Read those links.
I read them, but still can't understand. Conservation of energy of the electrons or?
Physicsissuef
Jan8-08, 11:00 AM
Doc Al?
Doc Al
Jan8-08, 12:26 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Physicsissuef View Post
Conservation of energy of the electrons or?
It takes energy to get a current flowing. That energy comes from the work you have to do in pushing the magnet into the loop. (The induced current exerts a force on the magnet that opposes its motion--you have to push the magnet, which takes energy.)
Physicsissuef
Jan8-08, 12:59 PM
It takes energy to get a current flowing. That energy comes from the work you have to do in pushing the magnet into the loop. (The induced current exerts a force on the magnet that opposes its motion--you have to push the magnet, which takes energy.)
And when I push the magnet back, why the electrons are going in same direction of the magnetic field, so they want to connect with it?
Doc Al
Jan8-08, 01:16 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Physicsissuef View Post
And when I push the magnet back, why the electrons are going in same direction of the magnetic field, so they want to connect with it?
The induced current always resists any change in flux. When you pull the magnet back you are acting to decrease the flux, so the current moves so as to increase it. (Again, this takes energy. You have to pull the magnet.)
Physicsissuef
Jan8-08, 01:27 PM
The induced current always resists any change in flux. When you pull the magnet back you are acting to decrease the flux, so the current moves so as to increase it. (Again, this takes energy. You have to pull the magnet.)
Ok, I understand that. But why it wants to increase it?

Register to reply