Order of Groups: Proving ord(\theta(x)) = ord(x)

• Thread starter smoothman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Groups
In summary, we are asked to show that for an injective group homomorphism \theta: G --> H, for each xEG, ord(\theta(x)) = ord(x). We show this by assuming ord(x) = a and showing that \theta(x^a) = \theta(e) implies ord(\theta(x))= a. We also assume that ord(\theta(x)) = b < a and show that this leads to a contradiction, proving the desired result.
smoothman
Hi i have completed the answer to this question. Just need your verification on whether it's completely correct or not:

Question:
If G is a group and xEG we define the order ord(x) by:
ord(x) = min{[itex]r \geq 1: x^r = 1[/itex]}

If [itex]\theta[/itex]: G --> H is an injective group homomorphism show that, for each xEG, ord([itex]\theta(x)[/itex]) = ord(x)

My answer: Please verify
If [itex]\theta(x)[/itex] = {[itex]x^r: r \epsilon Z[/itex]} then ord([itex]\theta(x)[/itex]) = ord(x).

For any integer r, we have x^r = e (or 1) if and only if ord(x) divides r.

In general the order of any subgroup of G divides the order of G. If H is a subgroup of G then "ord (G) / ord(H) = [G:H]" where [G:H] is an index of H in G, an integer.
So order for any xEG divides order of the group. So ord([itex]\theta(x)[/itex]) = ord(x)

any suggestions or changes please? thnx :)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
smoothman said:
Hi i have completed the answer to this question. Just need your verification on whether it's completely correct or not:

Question:
If G is a group and xEG we define the order ord(x) by:
ord(x) = min{[itex]r \geq 1: x^r = 1[/itex]}

If [itex]\theta[/itex]: G --> H is an injective group homomorphism show that, for each xEG, ord([itex]\theta(x)[/itex]) = ord(x)

My answer: Please verify
If [itex]\theta(x)[/itex] = {[itex]x^r: r \epsilon Z[/itex]} then ord([itex]\theta(x)[/itex]) = ord(x).
This makes no sense. [itex]\theta(x)[/itex] is a single member of H, not a set of members of G.

For any integer r, we have x^r = e (or 1) if and only if ord(x) divides r.

In general the order of any subgroup of G divides the order of G. If H is a subgroup of G then "ord (G) / ord(H) = [G:H]" where [G:H] is an index of H in G, an integer.
An "index of H in G"? It is not said here that H has to be a subset of G!

So order for any xEG divides order of the group. So ord([itex]\theta(x)[/itex]) = ord(x)

any suggestions or changes please? thnx :)

Seems to me you could just use the fact that, for any injective homomorphism, [itex]\theta[/itex], [itex]\theta(x^r)= [\theta(x)]^r[/itex] and [itex]\theta(1_G)= 1_H[/itex].

i believe we have to show 2 things:

i) [itex](\theta(x))^a = e'[/itex]
ii) [itex]0 < b < a \implies (\theta(x))^b \neq e'[/itex].

ok so basically:

If ord(x)=a then [itex]\left[ {\phi (x)} \right]^a = \left[ {\phi (x^a )} \right] = \phi (e) = e'[/itex].
Now suppose that [itex]ord\left[ {\phi (x)} \right] = b < a[/itex].
Then
[itex]\left[ {\phi (x)} \right]^b = e' = \left[ {\phi (x)} \right]^a [/itex]
[itex]\phi (x^b ) = \phi (x^a )[/itex]
[itex]x^b = x^a[/itex] (injective)
[itex]x^{a - b} = e[/itex]

there seems to be a contradiction where if [itex]x^{a} = x^{b}[/itex], then [itex]\left[ {\phi (x)} \right]^b = e'[/itex] which is not what statement (ii) says.
am i correct in this assumption? any ideas on how to deal with this?

When you have [itex]x^{a-b} = e[/itex], then a-b is positive since you assumed b<a. But this contradicts the definition of order. Done.

Last edited:

What is the "Order of Groups" in mathematics?

The "Order of Groups" refers to the number of elements in a group. In other words, it is the size or cardinality of the group.

What does it mean to prove ord(\theta(x)) = ord(x)?

To prove ord(\theta(x)) = ord(x) means to show that the order of the image of an element x under a group homomorphism \theta is equal to the order of x itself.

Why is it important to prove ord(\theta(x)) = ord(x)?

Proving ord(\theta(x)) = ord(x) is important because it allows us to understand the relationship between the order of elements in a group and the order of their images under a group homomorphism. This can provide insights into the structure and properties of the group.

What are some strategies for proving ord(\theta(x)) = ord(x)?

One strategy for proving ord(\theta(x)) = ord(x) is to use the definition of a group homomorphism and the properties of groups. Another strategy is to use the fact that the order of an element is the smallest positive integer n such that x^n = e, where e is the identity element.

Are there any exceptions to the statement ord(\theta(x)) = ord(x)?

Yes, there can be exceptions to the statement ord(\theta(x)) = ord(x) in certain cases, such as when \theta is not a surjective homomorphism or when x is not in the kernel of \theta. It is important to carefully consider the specific group and homomorphism in question when proving this statement.