Chi-squared analysis and budgeting weekly repair costs

In summary, the conversation discusses using the exponential distribution and chi-squared distribution to find a number c such that the probability of Y1 + Y2 + Y3 + Y4 + Y5 being greater than c is 0.05. It also mentions using the properties of the gamma distribution to solve for c. The final solution involves converting the sum of the Y values into a chi-squared distribution with 10 degrees of freedom to find the value of c.
J Flanders
* I posted this in the Coursework section, but I wasn't sure if it would be answered there. *
Here's my question:

A plant supervisor is interested in budgeting weekly repair costs for a certain type of machine. Records over the past years indicate that these repair costs have an exponential distribution with mean 20 for each machine studied. Let Y1, Y2, Y3, Y4, Y5 denote the repair costs for five of these machines for the next week. Find a number c such that P(Y1 + Y2 + Y3 + Y4 + Y5 > c) = 0.05, assuming that the machines operate independently.

I was given in the previous problem that if Y has an exponential distribution with mean X, U = 2Y/X has a chi-squared distribution with 2 degrees of freedom.

I'm not quite sure what to do here. I think I solve for Y to get Y = UX/2, which means Y1, Y2, Y3, Y4, and Y5 each are independent chi-squared distributed random variables, each with 20 degrees of freedom. Then Y1 + Y2 + Y3 + Y4 + Y5 has a chi-squared distribution with (20)(5) = 100 degrees of freedom. Then I look at a chi-squared table for 100 d.f. and alpha = 0.05. Let c = 124.342.

Is this right and/or make sense?
Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You know each Y is distributed exponentially; you don't need to solve for it.

The questions are:

1. whether Y1 + Y2 + Y3 + Y4 + Y5 = 5Y

2. whether you can extrapolate the scaling factor given in your book from k = 2 to k = 5.

And the answers are:

1. Each of Yi (i = 1, ..., 5) represents a distinct random draw from a distribution. However, 5Y represents a single draw multiplied by 5. 5Y is scaling a random variable with a factor of 5, and does not represent 5 distinct draws made from the distribution.

2. Let m be the mean of each Y. Exponential distribution is a special case of the gamma distribution. Exp(1/m) = Gamma(1, m). Gamma is scalable: if X is Gamma(1, m) then kX is Gamma(1, km). So (2/m)X is Gamma(1, (2/m)m) = Gamma(1, 2) = Exp(1/2). And it so happens that Exp(1/2) is ChiSq(2).

So there is a very specific chain of relationships that connect U = 2Y/m to Chi-Squared, and I am not sure that it will hold for V = 5Y/m.

Your best bet is to use the property: "if Z = Y1 + Y2 + Y3 + Y4 + Y5 then Z is Gamma(5, m)" to solve for c in P(Z > c) = 0.05 using the Gamma distribution.

Last edited:
I cannot find any tables of Gamma distributions. How would I find Gamma(5, 20)? Is there a way to turn it into a chi-squared distribution?

Thanks for the help from before.

ChiSq[k] happens to be equal to Gamma[k/2](2), where [] is the degrees of freedom and () is the remaining set of parameters. So Gamma[5](2) = ChiSq[10]. Moreover if Z ~ Gamma[5](20) then Z/10 ~ Gamma[5](2) = ChiSq[10]. If you calculate the sum Y1 + ... + Y5 then divide it by 10, you can use the ChiSq[10] table to calculate the applicable probability.

To verify this, you can numerically calculate the probabilities using the formulas here: http://met-www.cit.cornell.edu/reports/RR_91-2.html or purchase their book.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is Chi-squared analysis and how is it used in budgeting weekly repair costs?

Chi-squared analysis is a statistical method used to determine the relationship between two categorical variables. In the context of budgeting weekly repair costs, it can be used to analyze the relationship between different categories of repairs and their corresponding costs, allowing for better budget planning and allocation of resources.

2. How do you conduct a Chi-squared analysis for budgeting weekly repair costs?

To conduct a Chi-squared analysis for budgeting weekly repair costs, you will need to first gather data on the different categories of repairs and their corresponding costs. Then, you can use a statistical software or calculator to calculate the Chi-squared value and determine the significance of the relationship between the variables.

3. What are the benefits of using Chi-squared analysis for budgeting weekly repair costs?

Using Chi-squared analysis for budgeting weekly repair costs can provide several benefits, such as identifying cost-saving opportunities by analyzing the relationship between repairs and costs, improving budget planning and allocation of resources, and making data-driven decisions for managing repair costs.

4. Are there any limitations to using Chi-squared analysis for budgeting weekly repair costs?

Yes, there are some limitations to using Chi-squared analysis for budgeting weekly repair costs. For example, it assumes that the data is independent and normally distributed, which may not always be the case. Additionally, it can only determine the relationship between two categorical variables and cannot establish causation.

5. Can Chi-squared analysis be used for other budgeting purposes besides weekly repair costs?

Yes, Chi-squared analysis can be used for other budgeting purposes besides weekly repair costs. It is a versatile statistical method that can be applied to analyze the relationship between any two categorical variables, such as sales and marketing expenses or production costs. However, it is important to ensure that the data meets the assumptions for conducting Chi-squared analysis.