What is the Equivalent Resistance and Current in this Electrical Circuit?

In summary, the given problem involves a circuit with resistors R1, R2, R3, and R4, as well as an ideal battery with emf ε = 6.0 V. The first part asks for the equivalent resistance of the circuit, which can be found by calculating the parallel resistance of R2, R3, and R4, and then adding that to the series resistance of R1. The second part involves finding the currents through each resistor, which can be done using Kirchoff's laws and Ohm's Law.
christina_m

Homework Statement

In Fig. 27-29, R1 = 85.8 Ω, R2 = R3 = 67.5 Ω, R4 = 89.7 Ω, and the ideal battery has emf ε = 6.0 V. (a) What is the equivalent resistance? What is i in (b) resistance 1, (c) resistance 2, (d) resistance 3, and (e) resistance 4?

http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs1141/art/qb/qu/c27/Fig27_42.gif

Homework Equations

I in = I out

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to begin with this problem. I can't figure out how to use the formula of I in = I out with this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
For a)

you can see R2, R3, and R4 are all in parallel, so you can find an equivalent resistance for those three, and R1 is in series with that equivalent resistor, so you can find the equivalent resistance. Does that get you going?

The second part asking for the currents can be done with Kirchoff's laws and Ohm's Law

R2, R4, & R3 are in parrallel, find the equivilent R for those seperate, then take what you got for that and then find the equivilent R for a series using what you got before as well as R1. That should get you started with the first part.

Whoops, looks like someone beat me to it. :)

What is electrical resistance?

Electrical resistance is the measure of the opposition to the flow of electricity through a material. It is caused by the collisions of electrons with atoms in a material, which creates a resistance to the flow of electric current.

How is electrical resistance measured?

Electrical resistance is measured using a unit called ohms (Ω). A device called a multimeter is used to measure the resistance of a material by applying a voltage and measuring the current flowing through it. The ratio of voltage to current is the resistance.

What factors affect electrical resistance?

The factors that affect electrical resistance include the type of material, its length and cross-sectional area, and its temperature. Materials with higher resistivity, longer length, and smaller cross-sectional area will have higher resistance. Additionally, the resistance of a material increases with higher temperatures due to increased atomic vibrations.

What is the relationship between electrical resistance and current?

Ohm's Law states that the current through a material is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance. This means that as resistance increases, the current flowing through a material will decrease for a given voltage. Similarly, as resistance decreases, the current will increase for a given voltage.

How can electrical resistance be reduced?

Electrical resistance can be reduced by using materials with lower resistivity, shorter length, and larger cross-sectional area. Additionally, keeping materials at lower temperatures can also help reduce their resistance. In some cases, adding a conducting material, such as copper, can also help reduce resistance by providing a lower resistance path for the current to flow through.