Exploring the Physics of a Hobby: Investigating Lift in Vacuum Chambers

In summary, EHD lifters work by using ions to create a thrust. They are not an anti-gravity device and require a medium like air to function.
Altune
I am interested in this Hobby.
I have seen several experiments and it looks pretty easy to do.
I am wondering what exactly lifts this?
Is it Ions or ??
They had done a test in a vacuum chamber and it was still working, are ions present in a vacume?
If it's not ions, then what makes the model rise? And I wonder how high it would rise if it did not need the power line connected?
They say it's high voltage, low wattage 30k
Anybody taking this seriously?
I heard they are using this technology in the leading edges of the B1 Bomber to create more lift.
Anybody?

Engineering news on Phys.org
http://www.blazelabs.com/nasatest.pdf

Altune said:
I am wondering what exactly lifts this?
Is it Ions or ??

Ions created in the air from the high-voltage areas of the lifter provide a repulsive effect on one end and an attractive effect at the other that propels the model.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ionocraft

Wikipedia said:
When the corona wire is at approximately 30 kV, it causes the air molecules nearby to become ionised by stripping the electrons away from them. As this happens, the ions are strongly repelled away from the anode but are also strongly attracted towards the collector, causing the majority of the ions to begin accelerating in the direction of the collector. These ions travel at a constant average velocity termed the drift velocity. Such velocity depends on the mean free path between collisions, the external electric field, and on the mass of ions and neutral air molecules. If this were the only effect present, there would be no movement; as the ions impact the second electrode, they create another equal and opposite force that cancels out the initial movement.

Altune said:
They had done a test in a vacuum chamber and it was still working, are ions present in a vacume?

EHD Lifters do NOT work in a vacuum, no matter what you think you have seen or heard on the internet. It is a myth propogated by anti-gravity nut jobs. No fluid surrounding the model means no thrust.

Altune said:
I heard they are using this technology in the leading edges of the B1 Bomber to create more lift.

Well that's a weird thing to think. Where exactly did you hear that?

Mech_Engineer said:
EHD Lifters do NOT work in a vacuum, no matter what you think you have seen or heard on the internet.
Clarification -- they do not work in a 'hard' vacuum. If the quality of the vacuum is sufficiently poor, enough fluid remains to allow them to work.

Hurkyl said:
Clarification -- they do not work in a 'hard' vacuum. If the quality of the vacuum is sufficiently poor, enough fluid remains to allow them to work.

The point is they are NOT an anti-gravity device, they require a medium like air to create ions for thrust. Saying they work in some vacuums might be technically correct for a very poor vacuum (if you like measuring thrust in micro-Newtons), but propogates the wrong idea. As it is, a relatively poor vacuum is really just a very low-pressure gas. Unfortunately in the real world, the distinction between gas and lack of it (vacuum) is an infinite gradient of gray.

I think the really important thing to take away from "lifters do not work in a vacuum" is "lifters do not work in space."

Last edited:
Mech_Engineer said:
The point is they are NOT an anti-gravity device, they require a medium like air to create ions for thrust. Saying they work in some vacuums might be technically correct for a very poor vacuum (if you like measuring thrust in micro-Newtons), but propogates the wrong idea. As it is, a relatively poor vacuum is really just a very low-pressure gas. Unfortunately in the real world, the distinction between gas and lack of it (vacuum) is an infinite gradient of gray.

I think the really important thing to take away from "lifters do not work in a vacuum" is "lifters do not work in space."
I believe several demonstrations have been performed in (poor) vacuums, in which the lifter does work. I was being pedantic on this point because the layperson could easily get the wrong impression from the claim "lifters do not work in a vacuum", and then reject what the scientists say when they see one of these demonstrations.

Hurkyl said:
http://www.blazelabs.com/nasatest.pdf
Great link - I'd been wondering if anyone did any real tests of one of these in a vacuum (there is a crackpot claiming he did). I wish they had more there, though.

1. What is the purpose of investigating lift in vacuum chambers?

The purpose of this experiment is to understand the principles of lift and how it can be affected by different factors, such as air pressure and fluid dynamics. This can help us better understand how objects, such as airplanes and drones, are able to fly.

2. How does the vacuum chamber affect the lift of an object?

The vacuum chamber removes air molecules, creating a low-pressure environment. This reduces the air resistance on the object, allowing it to experience a greater lift force. This is similar to the effect of high altitude on flying objects.

3. What are some variables that can affect lift in vacuum chambers?

Some variables that can affect lift in vacuum chambers include the size and shape of the object, the air pressure within the chamber, the speed of the object, and the viscosity of the fluid (if any) within the chamber.

4. How can we measure and quantify lift in a vacuum chamber?

Lift can be measured and quantified by using a force sensor or a scale to measure the weight of the object. The difference between the weight of the object in normal atmospheric conditions and the weight in the vacuum chamber can give an indication of the lift force.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding lift in vacuum chambers?

Understanding lift in vacuum chambers has many real-world applications, such as in the aerospace industry for designing and testing aircraft, in the development of wind turbines, and in the study of fluid dynamics for various engineering and scientific purposes.