Irreducibility of a general polynomial in a finite field

by Mystic998
Tags: field, finite, irreducibility, polynomial
Share this thread:
Mystic998
Feb20-08, 07:23 PM
P: 206
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For prime p, nonzero [itex]a \in \bold{F}_p[/itex], prove that [itex]q(x) = x^p - x + a[/itex] is irreducible over [itex]\bold{F}_p[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

It's pretty clear that none of the elements of [itex]\bold{F}_p[/itex] are roots of this polynomial. Anyway, so far, following a hint from the book, I've shown that if [itex] \alpha[/itex] is a root of q(x), then so is [itex]\alpha + 1[/itex], and from there I was able to deduce (hopefully not incorrectly) that [itex]\bold{F}_{p}(\alpha)[/itex] is the splitting field for q(x) over the field, but I can't figure out the degree of the extension, so I'm kind of stuck. Any ideas?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Office life' of bacteria may be their weak spot
Lunar explorers will walk at higher speeds than thought
Philips introduces BlueTouch, PulseRelief control for pain relief
morphism
Feb20-08, 07:28 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,020
How about showing that if q(x) is reducible, then it must split into linear factors?
Mystic998
Feb20-08, 08:56 PM
I sat and thought about it for about 45 minutes and played around on a chalkboard with it, and I'm not sure how to go about your suggestion. Is it related to the work I already did, or is it a completely new line of attack? Thanks for helping.

Mystic998
Feb20-08, 10:28 PM
Irreducibility of a general polynomial in a finite field

Okay, I figured it out. Thanks a lot.

Register to reply