Difficult landing

by Astronuc
Tags: difficult, landing
Share this thread:
Astronuc
Mar3-08, 12:21 PM
Admin
P: 21,869
I've been in some hair-raising landing conditions, but nothing like this. This pilot is amazing.

Pilot hailed for response to stormy conditions
Tip of Lufthansa jet grazes runway before pilot gets it back in the air
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23446713/

Airline spokesman Wolfgang Weber said the plane was rocked by wind clocked at 250 kph (155 mph) as it tried to land!

Video of attempted landing - Lufthansa flight at Hamburg
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540...46303#23446303
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
What lit up the universe?
Sheepdogs use just two simple rules to round up large herds of sheep
Animals first flex their muscles
Moonbear
Mar3-08, 12:25 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,270
I saw that on the news this morning! Yikes! I had missed the story lead-in when I turned on the TV, and was expecting the rest of the report to be about the crash until he got airborne again. Amazing!
Ivan Seeking
Mar3-08, 12:32 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,500
I bet that a few people had to change their shorts after that one, including the pilots!

ManDay
Mar3-08, 12:41 PM
P: 155
Difficult landing

Yeah that's been on CNN all over the day. Bless our german pilots :D
Moonbear
Mar3-08, 12:48 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
I bet that a few people had to change their shorts after that one, including the pilots!
No doubt! I'm surprised there were no injuries (that's what was reported)...they must have been lucky they had no passengers with any heart conditions.
hypatia
Mar3-08, 01:47 PM
P: 1,298
That was really something to see, glad I wasen't on it.
Math Jeans
Mar3-08, 01:54 PM
P: 340
We have been getting plenty of wind over here in AZ as well.

It got up to 50mph yesterday I believe.
Andre
Mar3-08, 03:01 PM
PF Gold
P: 5,458
In our books this is not very profesional. A good pilot solves difficult situations but a superior pilot sees that he never gets in difficult situations in the first place. The storm was well forecasted and the warnings were out. he should not have made that attempt.

let me rephrase that: a good pilot has superior skills to solve difficult situations but a superior pilot uses his superior judgement to avoid situations that require his superior skills.
russ_watters
Mar3-08, 03:21 PM
Mentor
P: 22,294
Yes, my first thought was why would they be attempting to land in such conditions?
RonL
Mar3-08, 03:33 PM
PF Gold
P: 707
I'm not sure i agree with Andre, and russ, why did he return and make a safe landing the next time around ? I'm not sure that even a dopler system could predict that wind gust.
lisab
Mar3-08, 03:37 PM
Mentor
P: 2,986
Quote Quote by Andre View Post
In our books this is not very profesional. A good pilot solves difficult situations but a superior pilot sees that he never gets in difficult situations in the first place. The storm was well forecasted and the warnings were out. he should not have made that attempt.

let me rephrase that: a good pilot has superior skills to solve difficult situations but a superior pilot uses his superior judgement to avoid situations that require his superior skills.
...I want a superior pilot, please...!
turbo
Mar3-08, 03:38 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
I've had some scares on puddle-jumpers but not on passenger jets of that size. Amazing.
Cyrus
Mar3-08, 04:11 PM
P: 4,777
I can appreciate that. We had a stiff crosswind on landing today.
Poop-Loops
Mar3-08, 04:21 PM
P: 863
Holy crap! That thing was coming in at like 45!
Moonbear
Mar3-08, 05:21 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by RonL View Post
I'm not sure i agree with Andre, and russ, why did he return and make a safe landing the next time around ? I'm not sure that even a dopler system could predict that wind gust.
Yeah, that he was able to land okay on a second pass left me thinking it was just a random gust of some sort, not a steady wind that was predictable. Then again, once in a while, you have little choice if you got airborne before a bad weather system came in that wasn't projected to head that direction or be that bad when you took off (I didn't look where the flight originated) and don't have enough fuel to get to an airport that's past the storm system, or to keep circling until it passes.
Kurdt
Mar3-08, 07:33 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,980
Its been really gusting over here lately for no reason. We had up to 70mph a couple of days ago.
russ_watters
Mar3-08, 11:17 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by RonL View Post
I'm not sure i agree with Andre, and russ, why did he return and make a safe landing the next time around ?
Also a good question. After almost crashing, why would you try again? Why would you not divert to another airport?
I'm not sure that even a dopler system could predict that wind gust.
It should at least be able to predict the conditions necessary for such a wind gust. That isn't your normal every-day wind gust - it can't exist unless associated with a massive thunderstorm or other kind of thermal.
russ_watters
Mar3-08, 11:20 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Moonbear View Post
Yeah, that he was able to land okay on a second pass left me thinking it was just a random gust of some sort, not a steady wind that was predictable.
Well, they show 25 seconds of the approach and the plane is flying sideways the entire time, before the gust hits it and blows it off the runway. So (guessing...), they attempted to land in a 75 kt crosswind and got hit with a 150kt gust. Still, a 75kt crosswind isn't something you should regularly attempt to land in.

[edit] Looking at it again, it doesn't look to me like it took much of a gust. You can see its nose pointed to the right with the right wing dipped during the approach due to the heavy crosswind. Then at touchdown, it tried to straighten-out and level-out, which then caused it to slide off the runway to the left. To me it just looks like a situation where a landing should not have been attempted.

Key point: The article says it was landing in a storm.

Note: it isn't necessarily the pilot's fault if they landed in conditions they shouldn't have - it is at least partly the ATC.

Register to reply