The capacitance of the two metal sphere system

by Indis Nenhrma
Tags: capacitance, metal, sphere
Share this thread:
Indis Nenhrma
Mar16-08, 05:28 AM
P: 8
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What is the capacitance of the two metal sphere system.

*The question has been attached shematically. All the variables are given in the attached file, there is no missing variable.

thx for any help.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp two metal sphere.bmp (230.4 KB, 120 views)
Attached Files
File Type: doc two metal sphere.doc (23.5 KB, 84 views)
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Flapping baby birds give clues to origin of flight
Prions can trigger 'stuck' wine fermentations, researchers find
Socially-assistive robots help kids with autism learn by providing personalized prompts
Indis Nenhrma
Mar17-08, 03:22 PM
I thought that I could solve this problem by integration. I can divide two spheres to small circular plates as parallel to each other and consider them as parallel plates. Then, i can add them up. It ain't difficult, but it requires calculus knowledge.
clem
Mar17-08, 04:03 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,261
You can't do it that way. It is a very difficult problem by any method.
You could try image, but a large number of image charges would be needed.

Porter
Mar18-08, 05:24 AM
P: 2
The capacitance of the two metal sphere system

You can find the electric-field due to one sphere. Then, intagrate it from r to L-r to find the potential between spheres due to one sphere. I think the spheres must have a charge +Q and -Q, thus, potentials due to each sphere are same and total potential is two times the calculated one with integration. Once you have found an equality consists of Q and V, you can find the capacitancy by writing this equality in form of Q = C*V.
Indis Nenhrma
Mar18-08, 05:52 AM
Quote Quote by Porter View Post
Then, intagrate it from r to L-r to find the potential between spheres due to one sphere.
Why did you choose limits as r and L-r?
Porter
Mar18-08, 06:48 AM
P: 2
Because potential diffrence inside a sphere is zero, there is no potential difference between 0 and r, you do not need the to add potential difference between these points. And, of course, electric-field inisde sphere is zero, not depending on distance, so you can not even intagrate electric-field by choosing limits involving 0 to r and L-r to L intervals.
Indis Nenhrma
Mar18-08, 05:39 PM
thx dude.
pam
Mar18-08, 07:29 PM
P: 455
But the surface charge density on each sphere is not uniform.

Register to reply