Register to reply

Rotational inertia (moment of inertia)

by mossman
Tags: inertia, moment, rotational
Share this thread:
mossman
Mar23-08, 02:49 PM
P: 3
hi guys im having a problem with a physics problem.

the question is about a seesaw that has two masses, m_1 and m_2 at each end of the seesaw. the length of the seesaw is L, so each mass is a distance L/2 from the pivot (center). i answered the question for what the Inertia was for a massless seesaw, (massless rod), and the answer came out to be correct and was m_1(L/2)^2 + m_2(L/2)^2,

now its asking me what it is if the swing does not have a negligible mass (m_bar), and what the new inertia would be. well the inertia of a thin rod rotating about its center is
1/12mL^2.

so now wouldn't the rotation of a rigid body be the sum of the inertias of the points with mass points?

so the answer should be m_1(L/2)^2 + m_2(L/2)^2 + 1/12m_barL^2

ive tried using hints but they didn't help, i dont know where im going wrong here. the answers i entered showed up incorrect and im wondering what im doing wrong. thanks for your help guys!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Climate change increases risk of crop slowdown in next 20 years
Researcher part of team studying ways to better predict intensity of hurricanes
New molecule puts scientists a step closer to understanding hydrogen storage
Doc Al
Mar23-08, 03:51 PM
Mentor
P: 41,304
Quote Quote by mossman View Post
so now wouldn't the rotation of a rigid body be the sum of the inertias of the points with mass points?
Yep. Just add them.

so the answer should be m_1(L/2)^2 + m_2(L/2)^2 + 1/12m_barL^2
Yep.

Looks right to me. (Those online systems can be picky, though.)

Register to reply