Current Sheet - Ampere's Law

In summary, the question asks to write an expression for the magnetic field above an infinite sheet of parallel wires with a current running through them in the y-direction. By using Ampere's Law and the right hand rule, it can be determined that the magnetic field points in the negative x-direction above the xy plane and in the positive x-direction below the xy plane. The magnitude of the magnetic field does not depend on x and can be expressed as B = -(uNI)/2a x, where u is the permeability of free space, N/a is the number of wires per unit length in the x-direction, a is the distance between the wires, and I is the current.
babydimples

Homework Statement

Consider an infinite sheet of parallel wires. The sheet lies in the xy
plane. A current I runs in the y-direction through each wire. there are
N/a wires per unit length in the x direction. Write an expression for B(d)
the magnetic field a distance d above the x y plane of the sheet and we
have to express the magnetic field as a vector.

Homework Equations

Ampere's Law --> closed integral of (Bdl) = uIencl

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that by using the right hand rule, the magnetic field would
pointing in the negative x direction if i pick a point above the surface.
Then I tried to figure out what Iencl is and I get I = (N/a)(a)(I) = NI
Then using ampere's law I get

B(top integral + bottom integral) = uNI
B(2a) = uNI
B= UNI/2a
and since the magnetic field is heading towards the negative x direction
I typed in B = -(uNI)/2a x

Please help! I don't know what I'm doing wrong! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
babydimples said:
I typed in B = -(uNI)/2a x
The magnetic field is in the positive x-direction above the xy plane and in the negative x- direction below the xy plane. Its magnitude does not depend on x. Maybe the x in your equation was meant to be a unit vector but that's not how it will be interpreted by anyone who reads it, including a machine.

1. What is the Current Sheet - Ampere's Law?

The Current Sheet - Ampere's Law is a mathematical relationship between the magnetic field surrounding a current sheet and the current passing through it. It is based on Ampere's Law, which states that the magnetic field around a closed loop is directly proportional to the current passing through it.

2. How is the Current Sheet - Ampere's Law used in scientific research?

The Current Sheet - Ampere's Law is used in a variety of scientific research, particularly in the field of electromagnetism. It is used to calculate the magnetic field strength and direction around a current sheet, which is important in understanding the behavior of charged particles and electromagnetic radiation.

3. Can the Current Sheet - Ampere's Law be applied to non-uniform current distributions?

Yes, the Current Sheet - Ampere's Law can be applied to non-uniform current distributions. However, in these cases, the calculation becomes more complex and may require advanced mathematical techniques such as integration or numerical methods.

4. What are the limitations of the Current Sheet - Ampere's Law?

The Current Sheet - Ampere's Law is only applicable to steady-state currents, meaning that the current through the sheet does not change with time. It also assumes that the current sheet is infinitely thin and has a uniform current distribution.

5. What other laws or equations are related to the Current Sheet - Ampere's Law?

The Current Sheet - Ampere's Law is closely related to other laws and equations in electromagnetism, such as Gauss's Law for magnetism and Faraday's Law of induction. It is also related to the Biot-Savart Law, which describes the magnetic field created by a steady current in a wire.