Register to reply

Convert flat space function to curved space function?

by friend
Tags: convert, curved, flat, function, space
Share this thread:
friend
Apr6-08, 10:25 AM
P: 982
Is there a general procedure to convert or transform a function that is defined on a flat space into an equivalent function in curves spaces?
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Heat distributions help researchers to understand curved space
Professor quantifies how 'one thing leads to another'
Team announces construction of a formal computer-verified proof of the Kepler conjecture
slider142
Apr6-08, 11:07 AM
P: 898
What do you mean by "equivalent function" ? Since the points on the curved space will be different from the points in the flat space, unless the curved space is just extrinsically curved or is just a portion of a curved space homeomorphic to the flat space.
Ynaught?
Apr6-08, 12:01 PM
P: 64
Quote Quote by friend View Post
Is there a general procedure to convert or transform a function that is defined on a flat space into an equivalent function in curves spaces?
How about the Riemann Sphere and Mobius Transformations...

http://www.sciencemag.org/sciext/vis2007/show/

The movie in slide #8 of the link provides an excellent visual representation.

friend
Apr6-08, 06:40 PM
Convert flat space function to curved space function?

Quote Quote by slider142 View Post
What do you mean by "equivalent function" ? Since the points on the curved space will be different from the points in the flat space, unless the curved space is just extrinsically curved or is just a portion of a curved space homeomorphic to the flat space.
I guess that's my question. How does a point know if it is in flat space or curved space? And therefore, how does a function know if it is in flat or curved space? Can a function on curved space be expressed in terms of the curvature of that space at each point? And can this be converted to some function on flat space coordinates?
Pere Callahan
Apr6-08, 07:39 PM
P: 587
Your function doesn't care about the metric of the space, be it flat or curved. As I understand it, the function is defined on the set of points making up the space,and is therefore unaffected by a change of the metric.
friend
Apr7-08, 09:25 AM
Quote Quote by Pere Callahan View Post
Your function doesn't care about the metric of the space, be it flat or curved. As I understand it, the function is defined on the set of points making up the space,and is therefore unaffected by a change of the metric.
What if the function is the metric? I suppose if the function depends on two points, or is it the distance between two points, then it depends on the curvature of the space. Is this right? What about differential changes in the function? That differential depends on the metric, right? So a Taylor expansion used to represent the function WOULD depend on the metric. I guess the question still remains for me. Thanks.

Register to reply