Register to reply

Cyclotron Magnet

by The_Brain
Tags: cyclotron, magnet
Share this thread:
The_Brain
May20-03, 09:08 AM
P: 43
I'm trying to build a small cyclotron and am thus searching for a magnet. I've been looking for a neodythium disc magnet that I could have cut in half to act as the two 'D' magnets in the cyclotron. The size of the magnet needs be somewhere around 12" in diameter but I can't seem to find anyplace that sells them around this size. If anyone knows where I could find some magnets or is willing to sell some of their own that would be great.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Vibrational motion of a single molecule measured in real time
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Bubbling down: Discovery suggests surprising uses for common bubbles
Alexander
May20-03, 08:11 PM
P: n/a
A couple of advices.

1.Don't try to cut neodym alloy - you won't be able to do that at home (it is very and very hard alloy). Ferrite is a little better, but too brittle. So, just get 2 magnets instead.

2. If you can't find two large magnets (equipment surplus web places can be a good place to start a search - Ti ion vacuum pumps have quite big slabs of ferrite magnets), then buy many small magnets and make a big one.
schwarzchildradius
May20-03, 08:47 PM
P: 179
why dont you start with a high-voltage linear accelerator and see how that goes first? you just need a very strong tube, a pump, and a voltage difference from either transformer or van de graff generator.

chroot
May21-03, 02:20 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,427
Cyclotron Magnet

The dees will need to be electromagnets, not permanent magnets.

- Warren
schwarzchildradius
May21-03, 03:01 AM
P: 179
That's true, they will. And you might want to consult relavant physics textbook for equations and etc.
The_Brain
May21-03, 10:09 AM
P: 43
Thanks for all of the responses. First off, I've already built a linear accelerater using my own voltage multiplier I made, a pump, etc. I also know all the equations for figuring out the frequency I need to alternate the current, what the velocity of the particle given a certain strength of a magnetic field is and the length of path taken, etc.

When I first started thinking about this, I too thought I needed elctromagnets but then my high school physics teacher told me I needed permanent magnets. Thus, I was hoping to find a strong neomydium magnet disc that I could have someone professionally cut into two parts so I could have my two dee magnets. I guess now I need to search out for electromagnets, so if anyone knows where some are, that would be great!
Alexander
May22-03, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by chroot
The dees will need to be electromagnets, not permanent magnets.

- Warren
That is for synchrotron. For cyclotron an orbit just gets bigger and bigger with velocity.
Alexander
May22-03, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Alexander
That is for synchrotron, not cyclotron.

For cyclotron an orbit just gets bigger and bigger with velocity.
chroot
May22-03, 12:37 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,427
Originally posted by Alexander
That is for synchrotron. For cyclotron an orbit just gets bigger and bigger with velocity.
Er, uh...

You'll still need a strong permanent magnet to curve the paths of the particles (ions, electrons, etc.) in a cyclotron.

However, the poster was asking about the DEES -- which are, of course, not permanent magnets. They are, in fact, not magnets at all. The dees are two halves of a hollow metal disc, to which an oscillating electric potential is applied.

- Warren
nbo10
May22-03, 05:57 PM
P: 415
If only I would have read this a few hours before. I just tossed a huge electromagnet.

JMD

Register to reply