Register to reply

Calculating Time in gravity/acceleration problem

by jquiring
Tags: time
Share this thread:
jquiring
Apr9-08, 01:20 PM
P: 1
I understand that gravity acts upon objects at a fairly steady rate on earth. How could I calculate the time in the following example:

An object falls ten centimeters before hitting the ground. How much time has passed from when it fell to when it hit the ground?

I can't use a stopwatch because the distances are so small. Since gravity is a constant (9.8 m/s2), how can I calculate the time over such a short distance? I'm sure that a computer could calculate this almost instantly, but I would like to know how to perform the calculation on paper.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Symphony of nanoplasmonic and optical resonators produces laser-like light emission
Do we live in a 2-D hologram? New Fermilab experiment will test the nature of the universe
Duality principle is 'safe and sound': Researchers clear up apparent violation of wave-particle duality
mathman
Apr9-08, 03:52 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 6,062
The general form for your problem is d=vt+gt2/2, where v is the initial speed and d is the distance. Air resistance is neglected. Assuming you simply drop it, you will get t=(0.2/9.8 )1/2 sec.
Awsom Guy
Feb19-10, 06:24 PM
P: 77
Quote Quote by mathman View Post
The general form for your problem is d=vt+gt2/2, where v is the initial speed and d is the distance. Air resistance is neglected. Assuming you simply drop it, you will get t=(0.2/9.8 )1/2 sec.
Not d, it is s for displacement :).

Register to reply