Register to reply

Calculating Time in gravity/acceleration problem

by jquiring
Tags: time
Share this thread:
jquiring
Apr9-08, 01:20 PM
P: 1
I understand that gravity acts upon objects at a fairly steady rate on earth. How could I calculate the time in the following example:

An object falls ten centimeters before hitting the ground. How much time has passed from when it fell to when it hit the ground?

I can't use a stopwatch because the distances are so small. Since gravity is a constant (9.8 m/s2), how can I calculate the time over such a short distance? I'm sure that a computer could calculate this almost instantly, but I would like to know how to perform the calculation on paper.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond
mathman
Apr9-08, 03:52 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 6,077
The general form for your problem is d=vt+gt2/2, where v is the initial speed and d is the distance. Air resistance is neglected. Assuming you simply drop it, you will get t=(0.2/9.8 )1/2 sec.
Awsom Guy
Feb19-10, 06:24 PM
P: 77
Quote Quote by mathman View Post
The general form for your problem is d=vt+gt2/2, where v is the initial speed and d is the distance. Air resistance is neglected. Assuming you simply drop it, you will get t=(0.2/9.8 )1/2 sec.
Not d, it is s for displacement :).

Register to reply