Calculating Time in gravity/acceleration problem

• Thread starter jquiring
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the conversation discusses calculating time for an object falling a short distance using the formula d=vt+gt2/2, with the assumption that air resistance is neglected. The speaker mentions using a computer for a quick calculation and also notes that the distance should be denoted as "s" for displacement rather than "d".
jquiring
I understand that gravity acts upon objects at a fairly steady rate on earth. How could I calculate the time in the following example:

An object falls ten centimeters before hitting the ground. How much time has passed from when it fell to when it hit the ground?

I can't use a stopwatch because the distances are so small. Since gravity is a constant (9.8 m/s2), how can I calculate the time over such a short distance? I'm sure that a computer could calculate this almost instantly, but I would like to know how to perform the calculation on paper.

Physics news on Phys.org
The general form for your problem is d=vt+gt2/2, where v is the initial speed and d is the distance. Air resistance is neglected. Assuming you simply drop it, you will get t=(0.2/9.8 )1/2 sec.

Last edited:
mathman said:
The general form for your problem is d=vt+gt2/2, where v is the initial speed and d is the distance. Air resistance is neglected. Assuming you simply drop it, you will get t=(0.2/9.8 )1/2 sec.

Not d, it is s for displacement :).

1. How do you calculate time in a gravity/acceleration problem?

In order to calculate time in a gravity/acceleration problem, you need to know the initial velocity, final velocity, and acceleration of the object. You can use the equation t = (vf - vi)/a, where t is the time, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and a is the acceleration.

2. What unit of measurement is used for time in a gravity/acceleration problem?

The unit of measurement for time in a gravity/acceleration problem is typically seconds (s). This is the standard unit of measurement for time in the International System of Units (SI).

3. How does the acceleration affect the time in a gravity/acceleration problem?

The acceleration of an object will directly affect the time it takes for the object to travel a certain distance. The greater the acceleration, the shorter the time will be. This is because acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time, so a higher acceleration means the object will reach its final velocity faster.

4. Can time be negative in a gravity/acceleration problem?

No, time cannot be negative in a gravity/acceleration problem. Time is a scalar quantity, which means it only has magnitude and no direction. A negative time value would not make sense in this context and would not be a valid solution to the problem.

5. How can you calculate time in a gravity/acceleration problem without knowing the acceleration?

If you do not know the acceleration in a gravity/acceleration problem, you can still calculate the time by using the equations of motion. You will need to know at least two of the following: initial velocity, final velocity, displacement, or time. You can then rearrange the equations to solve for time. Keep in mind that this may not give you an accurate or realistic answer, as the acceleration is a crucial factor in determining the time in these types of problems.