Register to reply

Electron configuration for ions

by bennington
Tags: configuration, electron, ions
Share this thread:
bennington
Apr22-08, 06:49 PM
P: 25
How would I write the configuration for ions? Would I alter the last subshell (e.g. 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s2 3d10: I change 3d10) or the shell with the n and l (1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s2 3d10: I change 4s2)? Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
kuahji
May7-08, 01:58 PM
P: 395
If your ion has a negative charge, add one electron to the electron configuration. If your ion is positive, subtract one electron.

For example, take Na. The electron configuration for the atom is [Ne] 3s1. If you have Na- it becomes [Ne] 3s2 & Na+, just [Ne].
Another example, suppose you have Cl, the electron configuration is [Ne] 3s2 3p5. Cl- is [Ar] & Cl+ is [Ne] 3s2 3p4. Notice how you add & subtract from the orbital with the highest energy

You have to be careful with the transition metals. Take for example Ti, its electron configuration is [Ar] 4s2 3d2. Ti- is [Ar] 4s2 3d3. But here is where it "can" be tricky. Ti+ is [Ar] 4s1 3d2. The d orbitals are written after the s, but the 4s orbitals are still of higher energy. So you remove from them first, before the d orbitals.
Asian Girl
May9-08, 10:03 AM
P: 35
Quote Quote by kuahji View Post
If your ion has a negative charge, add one electron to the electron configuration. If your ion is positive, subtract one electron.

For example, take Na. The electron configuration for the atom is [Ne] 3s1. If you have Na- it becomes [Ne] 3s2 & Na+, just [Ne].
Another example, suppose you have Cl, the electron configuration is [Ne] 3s2 3p5. Cl- is [Ar] & Cl+ is [Ne] 3s2 3p4. Notice how you add & subtract from the orbital with the highest energy

You have to be careful with the transition metals. Take for example [B]Ti, its electron configuration is [Ar] 4s2 3d2. Ti- is [Ar] 4s2 3d3. But here is where it "can" be tricky. Ti+ is [Ar] 4s1 3d2. [/B] The d orbitals are written after the s, but the 4s orbitals are still of higher energy. So you remove from them first, before the d orbitals.
This tricky was on our test last week and....I totally lost lol.

Register to reply