Register to reply

Transmission antenna

by arvik
Tags: antenna, transmission
Share this thread:
arvik
Apr30-08, 10:37 AM
P: 6
Hey guys, professor at college just completed teaching amplitude modulation and other stuff.Well while explaining need for modulation he said that height of transmitting antenna should be a multiple of "one fourth the wavelength" and so it is required to modulate the signal to higher carrier frequency.
Can somebody explain just briefly how we get the relation between height of antenna and wavelength?I tried searching for it on the net but couldnt find any xplanation in regards to it.
thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
A spray-on light show on four wheels: Darkside Scientific
Research project on accident-avoiding vehicle concluded
Smaller artificial magnetic conductors allow for more compact antenna hardware
NoTime
Apr30-08, 11:57 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,571
It depends on the type of antenna and you can compensate for breaking the rule somewhat.
IIRC the rule applies mostly to horizontal dipole where the ground can work as an passive element to the driven element changing the impedance and radiation pattern.
An end feed vertical has the opposite constraint.
The end needs to be at the ground or you need to construct a ground plane.

A good source for antenna design is the ARRL Antenna Handbook.
(ARRL = American Radio Relay League)
berkeman
Apr30-08, 12:24 PM
Mentor
P: 41,276
Quote Quote by arvik View Post
Hey guys, professor at college just completed teaching amplitude modulation and other stuff.Well while explaining need for modulation he said that height of transmitting antenna should be a multiple of "one fourth the wavelength" and so it is required to modulate the signal to higher carrier frequency.
Can somebody explain just briefly how we get the relation between height of antenna and wavelength?I tried searching for it on the net but couldnt find any xplanation in regards to it.
thanks.
I think the prof was talking about the length of the radiating elements, not the height above the ground plane. Both affect the radiation pattern, but the quarter wavelength refers to the resonant length of each half of a dipole antenna, or the single element of a monopole antenna. This wikipedia page is a good intro to antennas, with plenty of helpful links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antenna_%28radio%29

And here is a recent PF thread where we talked about antennas a fair bit:

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=210178

NoTime
Apr30-08, 02:38 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Transmission antenna

Here is some height above the ground stuff.
Starts on page 5.
http://www2.arrl.org/FandES/field/re...al/antplnr.pdf
mgb_phys
Apr30-08, 02:47 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 8,953
In the tradiational PF thread going off at a tangent mode.

The wiki article says that antenna / aerial means a rigid vs stiff wire but mean the same in British English.
I always used antenna for a single element and aerial for the entire system, mutliple dipoles, reflectors etc. Is this common usage?
NoTime
Apr30-08, 03:24 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Welcome to short attention span theater.

Don't know.
Personally, I'm inclined to think of aerial as archaic usage, at least in the US.
For those times when I need to be more specific than antenna I name the type.
berkeman
Apr30-08, 04:18 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by mgb_phys View Post
In the tradiational PF thread going off at a tangent mode.

The wiki article says that antenna / aerial means a rigid vs stiff wire but mean the same in British English.
I always used antenna for a single element and aerial for the entire system, mutliple dipoles, reflectors etc. Is this common usage?
At least among US HAMS (and the EEs that I work with), antenna refers to the whole thing, and we use the term "element" when referring to a piece of the antenna.
zeitghost
May1-08, 03:15 AM
P: 157
Mmmmmmmmmmm... love the concept of getting a 198kHz antenna a quarter wavelength up...
berkeman
May1-08, 11:32 AM
Mentor
Quote Quote by zeitghost View Post
Mmmmmmmmmmm... love the concept of getting a 198kHz antenna a quarter wavelength up...
Yep, as you get to lower frequencies, the size of an efficient antenna can get to be pretty challenging!

Register to reply