Desperate college student needs help in double integral

In summary, the conversation discusses using double integrals to derive formulas for the volume and surface area of a cone and the volume and surface area of a cap of a sphere. The problem is that the height, H, is not included in the formulas and the conversation seeks help with finding a solution.
marik
here is the problem I couldn't solve, anyone got any idea please help me.
thank you very much in advance

1) use double integrals to derive the given formula for the volume of a right circular cone of radius R and height H. the volume of a cone is given by the formula

(pi*R^2*H)/3
I tried to use polar coordinates, but what is troubling me is that I couldn't get H into the formula.

2) use double integrals to derive the given formula for the volume of a cap of a sphere of radius R and height H where 0<H<R. (the cap of a sphere is the portion of the sphere bounded below by the plane z=R-H and bounded above by the plane z=R). the volume of a cap of a sphere with radius R is given by the formula

( pi*H^2*(3R-H))/3
same problem, I couldn't get H into the formula from double integration

3) use double integrals to derive the given formula for the surface are of a cap of a sphere of radius R and height H where 0<H<R. (the cap of a sphere is the portion of the sphere bounded below by the plane z=R-H and bounded above by the plane z=R). the surface area of a cap of a sphere with radius R is given by the formula

2*pi*R*H
same problem, I couldn't get H into the formula from double integration

4) use a double integral to calculate the area for the region in xy-plane bounded by y=H, y=0, x=0, and the line containing the point (a,0), and (b,H) where a,b,H>0 and b<a.

5) use double integral to calculate the area for the sector in the polar plane bounded by the ray thetha=0 and thetha=R>0 and the circle x^2+y^2=R^2 in the first quadrant.

any help on any problem is deeply appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
For #1, using polar coordinates is a good idea. You should be able to see that the height , i.e. z, of a part of the cone is a function of r. This function will have H in it. If you're uncertain how to find it, you should be able to see that its is linear and what are its values when r=0 or r=R.

What is a double integral and why do college students struggle with it?

A double integral is a type of integral that involves calculating the area under a function over a two-dimensional space. It is commonly used in calculus and is often challenging for students because it requires a solid understanding of the concept of integration as well as strong algebraic skills.

How can a desperate college student seek help in understanding double integrals?

There are several options for a college student struggling with double integrals. First, they can reach out to their professor or teaching assistant for clarification and extra help. Additionally, there are often tutoring services offered by the school's math department or online resources such as Khan Academy that provide step-by-step explanations and practice problems.

What are some common mistakes made by students when solving double integrals?

One of the most common mistakes made by students is not understanding the bounds of the integral. It is crucial to correctly identify the limits of integration in order to accurately solve the integral. Additionally, students may struggle with setting up the integral correctly or making errors in calculation.

How can a student improve their understanding of double integrals?

Practice is key when it comes to understanding double integrals. Students should make sure they have a solid understanding of the fundamentals of integration and continuously practice solving different types of double integrals. It can also be helpful to seek out additional resources such as textbooks, online lectures, or study groups.

What are some real-world applications of double integrals?

Double integrals have a variety of applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they can be used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional object, determine the center of mass of an object, or find the average value of a function over a two-dimensional region. They are also commonly used in solving problems involving probability and statistics.