Help finding moles of pain killer/moles of hydrogen ion in a pain killer w/ titration

by rowkem
Tags: hydrogen, killer, killer or moles, moles, pain, titration, w or
rowkem
May13-08, 09:27 PM
P: 53
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Assuming the acid (pain killer) is monoprotic, calculate the moles of pain killer/hydrogen ion in a sample of an unknown pain killer using a titration:

NaOH was added to a pain killer solution

m[pain killer]=0.40g dissolved in 50 mL of distilled water
[NaOH]= 0.15 mol/L
v(NaOH)= 0.0036 L

2. Relevant equations

C1V1=C2V2

3. The attempt at a solution

I calculated the moles of pain killer by assuming that the moles of NaOH used would be equal to the moles of pain killer used since it's a 1-1 mole ratio. I found the moles of NaOH to be 5.4 x 10^-4 mol. I could further figure out the concentration of acid solution by dividing moles by volume of distilled water but, I dont know if that would help me.

It's really the moles of hydrogen ion that I cant get. I thought that the moles of H+ would be equal to the moles of OH in the NaOH solution which would mean that the moles of hydrogen would be equal to the moles of NaOH (since it's a strong base) but, that would mean that the moles of pain killer=moles of hydrogen ion in the pain killer which wouldn't make sense to me.

All that said, I could really use some guidance on this as to what I've don't correctly and where I went wrong, as well as where to go from here. Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Review: With Galaxy S5, Samsung proves less can be more
Making graphene in your kitchen
Study casts doubt on climate benefit of biofuels from corn residue
symbolipoint
May13-08, 10:54 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,692
You need to distinguish between the tablet-or-capsule and the active monoprotic acid ingredient(the componant which you titrated). You are only titrating the ACID in the sample; the target acid is only a fraction of the entire sample.
rowkem
May14-08, 06:44 AM
P: 53
Anyone?

chemisttree
May14-08, 12:01 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,725

Help finding moles of pain killer/moles of hydrogen ion in a pain killer w/ titration

Quote Quote by rowkem View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Assuming the acid (pain killer) is monoprotic, calculate the moles of pain killer/hydrogen ion in a sample of an unknown pain killer using a titration:

NaOH was added to a pain killer solution

m[pain killer]=0.40g dissolved in 50 mL of distilled water
[NaOH]= 0.15 mol/L
v(NaOH)= 0.0036 L

2. Relevant equations

C1V1=C2V2

3. The attempt at a solution

I calculated the moles of pain killer by assuming that the moles of NaOH used would be equal to the moles of pain killer used since it's a 1-1 mole ratio. I found the moles of NaOH to be 5.4 x 10^-4 mol. I could further figure out the concentration of acid solution by dividing moles by volume of distilled water but, I dont know if that would help me.

It's really the moles of hydrogen ion that I cant get. I thought that the moles of H+ would be equal to the moles of OH in the NaOH solution which would mean that the moles of hydrogen would be equal to the moles of NaOH (since it's a strong base) but, that would mean that the moles of pain killer=moles of hydrogen ion in the pain killer which wouldn't make sense to me.
That's the answer. Why doesn't that make sense to you? The painkiller is a monoprotic acid, yes?

here it is again in the statement of your problem...
...calculate the moles of pain killer/hydrogen ion in a sample of an unknown pain killer using a titration...

Register to reply