Register to reply

Double differentials and some curious problems

by Ultimâ
Tags: curious, differentials, double
Share this thread:
Ultimâ
May15-08, 03:30 PM
P: 35
Hello, I'm toying around with a Jacobian that has raised some interesting problems. It's a case of differentiating rates of some variable x, with respect to itself.

First one I suspect the answer is zero, though perhaps my reasoning is a bit flawed.

[tex]
\frac{d}{d\theta}(\dot{\theta})
=\frac{d \dot{\theta}}{dt} \times \frac{dt}{d\theta}
=\ddot{\theta} \times \dot{\theta}^{-1}
=\ddot{\theta} / \dot{\theta}
=\frac{\Delta p }{\Delta t}}/\Delta p
=\Delta t \approx 0
[/tex]

The second I think you apply the total derivative rule to, but maybe not, should the angle and angle-rate be considered as two separate variables?

[tex]
\frac{d}{d\theta}(\dot{\theta}cos\theta)
=\frac{dF}{d\theta}
=\frac{\partial F}{\partial \dot{\theta}} \times \frac{d\theta}{dt} +
\frac{\partial F}{\partial \theta} \times \ddot{\theta}
=\dot{\theta}cos\theta - \ddot{\theta}\dot{\theta}sin\theta
[/tex]

Last one has me flummaxed...
[tex]
\frac{d}{d\theta}(\theta+\dot{\theta}dt)=?
[/tex]

And finally
[tex]
\frac{d}{d\dot{\theta}}(q sin\phi tan\theta + r cos\phi tan\theta)
=\frac{1}{\ddot{\theta}}\times \frac{d}{dt}(q(t) sin\phi (t) tan\theta (t)+ r (t) cos\phi (t) tan\theta (t))
=?
[/tex]

Number 4 I arrive at from the chain rule (an example below):

[tex]
\frac{dy}{d\dot{\theta}}=\frac{dy}{dt} \times \frac{dt}{d\dot{\theta}}
=\frac{dy}{dt} \times \left(\frac{d\dot{\theta}}{dt}\right)^{-1}
=\frac{\dot{y}}{\ddot{\theta}}
[/tex]

Could anyone confirm what I've done so far (or point out any mistakes)? Cheers.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
Ultimâ
May16-08, 04:07 AM
Just to clarify, 3. slightly, the [tex]dt[/tex] is actually the sample period, so [tex]\dot{\theta}dt\approx \Delta\theta[/tex], but I'm unsure how this affects the derivative...

Also, in 2. maybe I should use the product rule, but I think the term you are using for differentiating needs to be different...

(product rule)
[tex]
\frac{d}{dz}(xy)= x\frac{dy}{dz}+y\frac{dx}{dz}
[/tex]
tiny-tim
May16-08, 05:02 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,157
Quote Quote by Ultimâ View Post
1.[tex]\frac{d}{d\theta}(\dot{\theta})
=\frac{d \dot{\theta}}{dt} \times \frac{dt}{d\theta}
=\ddot{\theta} \times \dot{\theta}^{-1}
=\ddot{\theta} / \dot{\theta}
=\frac{\Delta p }{\Delta t}}/\Delta p
=\Delta t \approx 0[/tex]
Hi Ultimâ!

I'm confused … what are ∆p and ∆t?

And what is the context that this is a part of? Is it something like a Lagrangian, where θ and θ' are treated as independent variables, so that ∂θ'/∂θ = ∂θ/∂θ' = 0 anyway?

If not, I don't understand how you get from θ''/θ' to (∆p/∆t)/∆p.

Ultimâ
May16-08, 05:43 AM
Double differentials and some curious problems

Sorry! I just jumped into a shorthand replace with the following:
[tex]
\frac{\Delta p }{\Delta t}}/\Delta p
=\frac{\Delta \dot{\theta} }{\Delta t}}/\Delta \ddot{\theta}
[/tex]

The context is trying to create a Jacobian matrix to estimate the covariance for angular rates. I don't really want to delve into to much detail as the matrix is rather large, but in a simplified form:

[tex]
\mathbf{x}_{k|k-1}=\mathbf{A}_k\mathbf{x}_{k-1|k-1}
[/tex]

and I need to find

[tex]
\mathbf{J}_k=\frac{d(\mathbf{x}_{k|k-1})}{d(\mathbf{A}_k\mathbf{x}_{k-1|k-1})}
[/tex]

Thinking about 3. a bit more I believe [tex]1[/tex] would be a fairly accurate approximate.
Ultimâ
May16-08, 10:56 AM
That is
[tex]
\frac{\Delta p }{\Delta t}}/\Delta p
=\frac{\Delta \dot{\theta} }{\Delta t}}/\Delta \dot{\theta}
[/tex]
tiny-tim
May16-08, 12:49 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,157
Hi Ultimâ!
Quote Quote by Ultimâ View Post
The context is trying to create a Jacobian matrix to estimate the covariance for angular rates. I don't really want to delve into to much detail …
I think you'd better delve a little, as I've really no idea what you're doing.

You seem to be trying to differentiate one element of a matrix with respect to another.

And does the J in Jk mean Jacobian, or angular momentum?

(btw, the LaTeX for ∂ is \partial … see http://www.physics.udel.edu/~dubois/...00000000000000)
Mute
May16-08, 01:39 PM
HW Helper
P: 1,391
For your first one:

[tex]\frac{d}{d\theta}(\dot{\theta})=\frac{d \dot{\theta}}{dt} \times \frac{dt}{d\theta}=\ddot{\theta} \times \dot{\theta}^{-1}=\ddot{\theta} / \dot{\theta}= \frac{d}{dt}\ln \dot{\theta}[/tex]

If that total derivative is equal to zero, then it means you must have [itex] \ln \dot{\theta} = \mbox{const}[/itex], which means [itex] \dot{\theta} = \mbox{const}[/itex], which means [itex]\theta(t) = a + bt[/itex], which won't be the case in general. The reason it's not zero in general is that for general cases you can in principle invert [itex]\theta(t)[/itex] to get [itex]t(\theta)[/itex], and so one could then write[itex]\ddot{\theta}(t) = \ddot{\theta}(t(\theta)) = \ddot{\theta}(\theta)[/itex].
Mute
May17-08, 01:12 PM
HW Helper
P: 1,391
Quote Quote by Mute View Post
For your first one:

[tex]\frac{d}{d\theta}(\dot{\theta})=\frac{d \dot{\theta}}{dt} \times \frac{dt}{d\theta}=\ddot{\theta} \times \dot{\theta}^{-1}=\ddot{\theta} / \dot{\theta}= \frac{d}{dt}\ln \dot{\theta}[/tex]

If that total derivative is equal to zero, then it means you must have [itex] \ln \dot{\theta} = \mbox{const}[/itex], which means [itex] \dot{\theta} = \mbox{const}[/itex], which means [itex]\theta(t) = a + bt[/itex], which won't be the case in general. The reason it's not zero in general is that for general cases you can in principle invert [itex]\theta(t)[/itex] to get [itex]t(\theta)[/itex], and so one could then write[itex]\ddot{\theta}(t) = \ddot{\theta}(t(\theta)) = \ddot{\theta}(\theta)[/itex].

Actually, I didn't even need to do the bit with the ln. From the very first term, if [itex]d\dot{\theta}/d\theta[/itex] is zero, then [itex] \dot{\theta} = \mbox{const}[/itex] and [itex]\theta = a + bt[/itex].
Ultimâ
May18-08, 01:57 PM
tiny-tim - Sorry if I didn't make things very clear, but I was just hoping people could check what I had done seemed reasonable - that is simplifying the derivatives in 1.->4. These happen to be four of the elements of J (yes it is a Jacobian) that I'm inputting as a matrix for an Extended Kalman filter (EKF) I'm working with. This simplification means having things in terms of p q r [tex]\phi \ \theta \ \psi [/tex] or their rates (values of which the EKF has available for making calculations).

I think Mute is suggesting I shouldn't simplify after the fourth part of No. 1, which do-able, though I don't actually have theta_doubledot available and would need to use [tex]\frac{\dot{\theta}_t - \dot{\theta}_{(t-1)}}{dt}[/tex] to estimate this....
trambolin
May19-08, 04:20 AM
P: 341
This is a little bit guessing, but if you are playing around with jacobian then it is most probably
[tex]\frac{\partial \dot{\theta}}{\partial \theta} = 0[/tex]

and the jacobian is evaluated at some point... Also you cannot always invert the function [itex]\theta(t)[/itex] and you don't check if [itex]\frac{dt}{d\theta}[/itex] is invertible...
Ultimâ
Jun24-08, 10:50 AM
Well since I was asked for it, here's the full problem I have (see pdf),...Anything wrong with my reasoning here for the elements I have calculated for the Jacobian?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf appEJacobianTemp.pdf (88.0 KB, 4 views)

Register to reply