http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicid...es/oarstab.htm
Phys.Org News Partner Social sciences news on Phys.org
College education not always about what you have
Love makes sex better for most women
Forget quotas for women MPs ? time to limit the number of men
BlackVision
May1-04, 04:41 PM
P: 424
Interesting article on this subject. Note that the author of this article is black.

Black Community Must Rise Up Against Crime

By Walter E. Williams

Professors Stephan and Abigail Thernstrom have just published ''America in Black and White.'' Its discussion of race is far more level-headed and useful than anything the president or his recently appointed commission on race has said or is likely to say. The Thernstroms' 700-page volume covers race from the Jim Crow days right up to California's Proposition 209, but I want to highlight their chapter on crime.

Most violent crime in our country is committed by blacks. According to U.S. Department of Justice statistics, blacks commit 54 percent of murders, 42 percent of forcible rapes, 59 percent of robberies and 38 percent of aggravated assaults. For the most part, the victims are black. Ninety-three percent of murdered blacks were murdered by a black.

Rest of article here:
http://www.manhattan-institute.org/h...chdn-voice.htm
Nereid
May1-04, 06:16 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,014
I guess these statistics refer to the USA, not China, India, or Belize.

DarkVision, do you have comparable figures for serious fraud, etc (the kind of crimes which were committed in the WorldCom, Enron etc scandals)?

Do you know if there is any move to reclassify some of the suicides which followed the massive destruction of value by the senior managers in such companies (e.g. when a retiree's entire life savings - held in company stock, as mandated by the company - is wiped out) as murder or manslaughter?

BlackVision
May1-04, 06:30 PM
Homicide Statistics by Race & Gender

Quote Quote by Nereid
I guess these statistics refer to the USA, not China, India, or Belize.
Yeah these are American statistics but the same racial gaps exists in every country. Canada, United Kingdom, Australia.

Here's statistics for the UK:

"The incarceration rate per 100,000 population in England and Wales was, 176 for whites. 150 for asians. 1,249 for blacks"
Nereid
May1-04, 06:50 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by BlackVision
Yeah these are American statistics but the same racial gaps exists in every country. Canada, United Kingdom, Australia.
(my emphasis). The 'races' are (per BlackVision): "Whites" (or "whites"), "Blacks" (or "blacks"), "Others", and (for the UK) "asians". How many of each 'race' are there in the following "countries" (from your list, in another post):
Latvia
Singapore
Andorra
Estonia
San Marino
Macau
Hong Kong
Guernsey
Liechtenstein
St Helena
Jersey
Gibralta
Isle of Man
Finland
China
BVI
Monaco
Seychelles
Montserrat
Caymans
Iceland
Mauritius
Christmas Island
Svalbad
"The incarceration rate per 100,000 population in England and Wales was, 176 for whites. 150 for asians. 1,249 for blacks"
And how does 'the incarceration rate' relate to homicides?
BlackVision
May1-04, 07:00 PM
Quote Quote by Nereid
(my emphasis). The 'races' are (per BlackVision): "Whites" (or "whites"), "Blacks" (or "blacks"), "Others", and (for the UK) "asians". How many of each 'race' are there in the following "countries" (from your list, in another post):
Latvia
Singapore
Andorra
Estonia
San Marino
Macau
Hong Kong
Guernsey
Liechtenstein
St Helena
Jersey
Gibralta
Isle of Man
Finland
China
BVI
Monaco
Seychelles
Montserrat
Caymans
Iceland
Mauritius
Christmas Island
Svalbad
The ethnic makeup of each country can be found at CIA's World Factbook. Here: http://www.odci.gov/cia/publications...ook/index.html

But I'm not sure if I understand what you're trying to get at here.

And how does 'the incarceration rate' relate to homicides?
Well overall crime rate I suppose.
0TheSwerve0
May1-04, 07:37 PM
P: 405
Any statistics in terms of socio-economic class?
Nereid
May2-04, 11:24 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Yeah these are American statistics but the same racial gaps exists in every country.
Quote Quote by Nereid
The 'races' are (per BlackVision): "Whites" (or "whites"), "Blacks" (or "blacks"), "Others", and (for the UK) "asians". How many of each 'race' are there in the following "countries"
The ethnic makeup of each country can be found at CIA's World Factbook. Here: http://www.odci.gov/cia/publications...ook/index.html

But I'm not sure if I understand what you're trying to get at here.
(my emphasis)I am trying to understand the relevance of the US stats you quoted to the other ~95% of the people in the world. Your answer to my first question was to say that "the same racial gaps exists in every country", so I was curious as to what these 'racial gaps' which exist in 'every country' are.

From the source you cite I learned that:
- 'country' seems to be used to mean several different things, and has a strong 'US government policy' flavour (which isn't really surprising, but does require anyone who wants to engage in serious discussion using it as a source to openly acknowledge its limitations)
- 'race' is not used as a demographic category
- 'ethnic groups' is used, but seems to have a highly variable meaning. E.g. for
China: "Han Chinese, Zhuang, Uygur, Hui, Yi, Tibetan, Miao, Manchu, Mongol, Buyi, Korean, and other nationalities"
India: "Indo-Aryan, Dravidian, Mongoloid and other"
US: "white, black, Asian, Amerindian and Alaska native, native Hawaiian and other Pacific islander, other"
Nigeria: "Nigeria, which is Africa's most populous country, is composed of more than 250 ethnic groups; the following are the most populous and politically influential: Hausa and Fulani, Yoruba, Igbo (Ibo), Ijaw, Kanuri, Ibibio , Tiv"
Brazil: "white (includes Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish, Polish), mixed white and black, black, other (includes Japanese, Arab, Amerindian)"
UK: "English, Scottish, Irish, Welsh, Ulster, West Indian, Indian, Pakistani, and other"
Germany: "German, Turkish, other (made up largely of Serbo-Croatian, Italian, Russian, Greek, Polish, Spanish)"

So, what did you mean when you said "the same racial gaps exists in every country"?
Monique
May2-04, 11:52 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,642
The question also is how large the bias is against certain racial groups, are certain groups watched more closely and thus caught at a higher rate than others?
arildno
May2-04, 12:08 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 12,016
Just a comment from Norway:
The "racial" crime component seems superficial, at best.
In contemporary Norway, the following ethnic groups are somewhat overrepresented in certain crime areas:
Ex-Yugoslavians/Albanians, Pakistanis, Somalians, Vietnamese.

The common denominator between all these diverse groups is that they are also heavily overrepresented in the lower socioeconomic classes.

To give a certain historical view on the matter:
Up to the 1950's/1960's, the aboriginal population in Northern Norway (Lapplanders/Samii a completely different "race" than Norwegians at large), was one of the primary groups with highest crime rates.
It was also one of the poorest.
Today, the economic distinction between Lapplanders and "Norwegians" is largely gone;
and so has the differential crime rates..
BlackVision
May2-04, 12:35 PM
Quote Quote by Nereid
(my emphasis)I am trying to understand the relevance of the US stats you quoted to the other ~95% of the people in the world. Your answer to my first question was to say that "the same racial gaps exists in every country", so I was curious as to what these 'racial gaps' which exist in 'every country' are.
Melting pot countries that have a variety of different races. USA, Canada, Australia, are melting pot countries. Several European countries have also become melting pot countries such as UK, Germany, etc. In countries, where enough of a ethnic group exists to do such a study, these gaps exist and are consistent in every country.

In every country, blacks tend to be far over represented in the crime rate, over 8 times or more of the white rate. Asian crime rate tend to be slightly lower than the white rate. These are consistent in every country.
hitssquad
May2-04, 12:46 PM
P: 1,382
Asian crime rate tend to be slightly lower than the white rate. These are consistent in every country.
The Philippines is number six on this International Homicide Rate Table, and has a homicide rate almost three times that of the United States.
BlackVision
May2-04, 12:55 PM
Quote Quote by hitssquad
The Philippines is number six on this International Homicide Rate Table, and has a homicide rate almost three times that of the United States.
I suppose I should of been more specific and said Far East Asians. China, Korea, Japanese.

The Middle East is Caucasian and have an extraordinarily high crime rate as well.

Southeast Asians wouldn't be purebreed Mongoloids. They have a mixing with the Melanesian race. Middle East is also not purebreed Caucasians and have mixing with African.

Also you need to compare with the same environment. Meaning different races in the SAME country. That's why I used melting pot countries as examples. USA, Canada, UK, etc.

P.S. And Philippines is not 6th overall. There are only 40 countries on that list. There are over 200 countries in the world. Not to mention on this list, they compare several different years. You can't compare 1991 to 1994 to 1997.
Nereid
May2-04, 01:12 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Melting pot countries that have a variety of different races. USA, Canada, Australia, are melting pot countries. Several European countries have also become melting pot countries such as UK, Germany, etc. In countries, where enough of a ethnic group exists to do such a study, these gaps exist and are consistent in every country.

In every country, blacks tend to be far over represented in the crime rate, over 8 times or more of the white rate. Asian crime rate tend to be slightly lower than the white rate. These are consistent in every country.
Evidence? Or simply unsubstantiated racist propoganda?
BlackVision
May2-04, 01:15 PM
Quote Quote by Nereid
Evidence? Or simply unsubstantiated racist propoganda?
Well there certainly is a trend. After noticing the trend, you have to ask why.
Nereid
May2-04, 01:21 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
I suppose I should of been more specific and said Far East Asians. China, Korea, Japanese.

The Middle East is Caucasian and have an extraordinarily high crime rate as well.

Southeast Asians wouldn't be purebreed Mongoloids. They have a mixing with the Melanesian race. Middle East is also not purebreed Caucasians and have mixing with African.
From the link which hitssquad provided, selections (country and homicide rate (deaths per 100k)):
Colombia: 64.6
Estonia: 28.21
Taiwan: 8.12 (in east Asia last time I looked)
US: 5.7
Italy: 2.25
Canada: 2.16
Australia: 1.86
S Korea: 1.62
England/Wales: 1.41
Germany: 1.17
Kuwait: 1.01

Maybe Colombia and Estonia have recently suffered a huge influx of Middle East Caucasians? Or the US is overflowing with Taiwanese gangsters?
BlackVision
May2-04, 01:29 PM
Quote Quote by Nereid
From the link which hitssquad provided, selections (country and homicide rate (deaths per 100k)):
Colombia: 64.6
Estonia: 28.21
Taiwan: 8.12 (in east Asia last time I looked)
US: 5.7
Italy: 2.25
Canada: 2.16
Australia: 1.86
S Korea: 1.62
England/Wales: 1.41
Germany: 1.17
Kuwait: 1.01

Maybe Colombia and Estonia have recently suffered a huge influx of Middle East Caucasians? Or the US is overflowing with Taiwanese gangsters?
I don't think you can compare the political and economical structure of Taiwan to America. Taiwanese in America would have a lower crime rate than Whites.

Estonia is a recovering communism country, I'm sure that has an effect.

But the point was that in every melting pot country. (USA, Canada, UK, etc) Every country that has a mix of different ethnic races. The asian, white, black holds. With a small gap between asian and whites and a huge one between whites and blacks. Unless you can name a country where this doesn't hold true.

Also these aren't the most accurate statistics for country comparisions I've seen.
Nereid
May2-04, 01:52 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
I don't think you can compare the political and economical structure of Taiwan to America. Taiwanese in America would have a lower crime rate than Whites.
Evidence?

Estonia is a recovering communism [sic] country, I'm sure that has an effect.
Maybe we could make up an 'excuse' for every country which doesn't fit any proposed effect?

But the point was that in every melting pot country. (USA, Canada, UK, etc) Every country that has a mix of different ethnic races. The asian, white, black holds. With a small gap between asian and whites and a huge one between whites and blacks. Unless you can name a country where this doesn't hold true.
So are we talking about 'races', 'ethnic groups', or 'ethnic races'? Maybe you'd like to propose a definition so that we can have a consistent discussion? In particular, especially given the inconsistency and confusion in your previous posts, what are 'asian', 'black' and 'white'?

In terms of a discussion, your suggestion is the classic debating technique of 'burden shifting': it's *your assertion* that these gaps exist, so the burden is upon *you* to provide evidence to support your claim. This is how it works in astronomy (the area of science I'm most familiar with), and I'm sure in all the sciences.
Also these aren't the most accurate statistics for country comparisions I've seen.
Please supply better ones then.

Register to reply