when looking at a cartesian graph

by evilpostingmong
Tags: cartesian, graph
evilpostingmong
Jun11-08, 04:40 PM
P: 341
should every whole number that curve x crosses be taken into consideration when
constructing a polar graph? For example, when y=1 is crossed, should the radius be drawn
on the polar graph if the x value is not an exact, uh, pi number (for example instead
of .77 which is pi/4 the x value that curve x crosses 1 is at .88 or something like that)
To see what I mean, graph 3cosx and look where y=2 is crossed (at x=.84). Should I ignore this point?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
HallsofIvy
Jun12-08, 08:13 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 38,900
?? I have no idea what you are talking about. To perfectly graph a function, you have to take every number into account, not just whole numbers! To approximately graph a function, you need to decide how accurate you want to be as opposed to how much work you want to do. The only reason for using "pi numbers" (by which I take it you mean simple fractions of pi) is that they are easy- the same reason you might use whole numbers for Cartesian graphs. There is no "mathematical" rule.

Register to reply