Register to reply

The inverse of a set of points?

by thinice
Tags: inverse, points
Share this thread:
thinice
May5-04, 06:57 AM
P: 1
I'm having trouble with this I'm sure it's a stupid terminology thing but for my personal retention, for example:
p={1,2}

what is the inverse of P (or mathematically put: p^-1)

-thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
quddusaliquddus
May5-04, 07:29 AM
P: 309
I'd guess it's a set without the points, or p={1/1, 1/2} i.e. p={1^-1, 2^-1}.
It's more probable thats it's my second answer cos a set without 1 and 2 in its elements should be defined using the set-operation terms e.g. intersect, union (I forgot the one that means "without the elements")

I MIGHT BE COMPLETELY WRONG! SO WAIT TILL SUM1 WHO KNOWS ANSWER FOR SURE COMES ALONG.

ok?
Chi Meson
May5-04, 09:53 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,772
I think it depends...

A set of points (x,y) describes a position, and the inverse of a position does not have much meaning.

The same set of points could, however, describe a displacement vector if the origin is assumed to be the initial location and (x,y) is the final location. The resultant displacement would have a magnitude of SQRT (x^2 + y^2) (that's pythagorean theorem), and this quantity could be inversed.

There's probably other interpretations

NateTG
May5-04, 04:32 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,537
The inverse of a set of points?

Without any extra context, the inverse of a set is not a meaningful concept.

Quote Quote by Chi Meson
A set of points (x,y) describes a position, and the inverse of a position does not have much meaning.
Meson - you're confusing sets with ordered pairs. Even so, ordered pairs are generally not considered to have inverses.

Typically, inverses make sens used when you have:

Binary operations and an identity e.g.:
The multiplicative inverse of [tex]2[/tex] is [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]. So [tex]2 \times \frac{1}{2} = 1[/tex]
or
The additive inverse of [tex]2[/tex] is [tex]-2[/tex]. So [tex]2 + (-2) = 0 [/tex]

Some type of relation:
The inverse of [tex]f(x)=2x[/tex] is [tex]f^{-1}(x)=\frac{x}{2}[/tex]. For bijections this is also an inverse in the sense above. I.e. for [tex]f[/tex] a bijection, [tex]f(f^{-1}(x))=x[/tex] is the identity function, but can readily be generalized to relations, or so that the inverse of [tex]f:X \rightarrow Y[/tex], is [tex]f:Y \rightarrow P(X)[/tex] where [tex]P(X)[/tex] is the power set of [tex]X[/tex].

There are probably other notions of inverse that I'm not thinking of. Regarding the notation [tex]P^{-1}[/tex] - I supose it might be used to describe the complement of [tex]P[/tex] but, if this is for a math course or text, look for the first instance of it in the text.
Parth Dave
May5-04, 04:35 PM
P: 299
ordered pairs do have inverses. The inverse of (1,3) is (3,1). Its just like with a function, to determine the inverse function you have to switch the x and y values.

Register to reply