Hypothetical: Large Thermonuclear Detonation

by vociferous
Tags: detonation, hypothetical, thermonuclear
vociferous
Jun23-08, 05:37 PM
P: 256
I guess this is more a geophysics question, but I was wondering about what the geophysical and atmospheric consequences would be of a single, massive energy release at a single location, caused by the simultaneous detonation of several large thermonuclear bombs or an antimatter explosion; something in the range of >1000 megatons of TNT equivalence.

The energy released would be enormous; would it be enough to cause widespread geological instability? Would it kick up enough dust to block the sun out for decades?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA's space station Robonaut finally getting legs
Free the seed: OSSI nurtures growing plants without patent barriers
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
mgb_phys
Jun23-08, 08:36 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 8,961
1000 MT is still pretty insignificant compared to nature on a bad day!
Thats about a supervolcano which might put 300-500 km^3 of material into the atmosphere.
A tiny volcano like Mt St Helens is 25MT.

A tropical storm (cyclone) is even more energetic, of the order of 30-50Mt/hour of continual power output!
LURCH
Jun24-08, 09:50 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,507
As mgb_phys said, the blast from a supervolcano like Craktoa is about the size of energy release you're talking about, and in the right form, too (explosion). Try looking at some of the geological studies of that event, and you'll get a pretty good idea of what would happen with a super-nuke. Just add poisonous levels of radiation to the dust cloud, and you're pretty much there.

Borek
Jun24-08, 10:16 AM
Admin
P: 22,679

Hypothetical: Large Thermonuclear Detonation

50 MT was tested by Russians in 1961, look for Tsar Bomba if you need details.
vociferous
Jun24-08, 10:17 AM
P: 256
According to Wikipedia, Krakatoa was a ~200MT explosion. Which equations would be suited to calculating the yield from a massive release of energy in terms of the radius of vaporization, thermal effect, lethal neutron and gamma explosions?

I am thinking about writing a novel, and one of the plots is going to involve a very large explosion, but I do not want to under or over estimate the effects and the fallout. Also, if the explosion involved antimatter instead of fusion, would the radiation effects be similar? Obviously, very little neutron radiation would be produced; it would be mostly electromagnetic.

Register to reply