Salary of Neurosurgeons

by Englishman
Tags: neurosurgeons, salary
Englishman
Jul1-08, 06:18 PM
P: 44
I have heard that the current average salary for neurosurgeons is $700,000 per year. If one is extremely good, then it is $1,000,000 per year. If one is horrible, then it is $400,000 per year. Is this true, because I know that neurosurgery is one of the top paying sub specializations.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Simplicity is key to co-operative robots
Chemical vapor deposition used to grow atomic layer materials on top of each other
Earliest ancestor of land herbivores discovered
CRGreathouse
Jul1-08, 07:01 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 3,680
Salary.com says it's $450k average for my region.
DaveC426913
Jul1-08, 09:36 PM
P: 15,325
One thing to factor in is what expenses surgeons have. Unless I'm mistaken, like doctors, that may not be "take-home pay"; they may operate sort of like small businesses, having to pay for things (such as an office and assistants) out of that money.

Mike H
Jul2-08, 07:04 AM
P: 464

Salary of Neurosurgeons

Two other things to keep in mind:

1.) Malpractice insurance, especially for surgical subspecialties, can be rather high. I've heard numbers ranging from $50,000 to $300,000 per year being tossed around for neurosurgeons, depending on the details of their practice.

2.) There is a more-than-reasonable chance you will have medical school loans to pay off, not to mention a number of years of rather unextraordinary salaries to make up for by the time you've finished your residency (and possibly even a fellowship or two).

This, of course, presumes one gets into med school, graduates high enough to get a neurosurgery match, makes it through the program, and so on.
Englishman
Jul2-08, 11:38 PM
Quote Quote by Mike H View Post
Two other things to keep in mind:

1.) Malpractice insurance, especially for surgical subspecialties, can be rather high. I've heard numbers ranging from $50,000 to $300,000 per year being tossed around for neurosurgeons, depending on the details of their practice.

2.) There is a more-than-reasonable chance you will have medical school loans to pay off, not to mention a number of years of rather unextraordinary salaries to make up for by the time you've finished your residency (and possibly even a fellowship or two).

This, of course, presumes one gets into med school, graduates high enough to get a neurosurgery match, makes it through the program, and so on.
I know malpractice insurance has a substantial price, but I was talking about the salary itself. Actually, there is no chance, for I will either get an academic scholarship, or my parents will pay for me. I already know I have to spend 14-20 years having from $0-$34,000 per year while I am in school. The fellowship is optional for becoming a neurosurgeon.
Englishman
Jul2-08, 11:40 PM
Quote Quote by DaveC426913 View Post
One thing to factor in is what expenses surgeons have. Unless I'm mistaken, like doctors, that may not be "take-home pay"; they may operate sort of like small businesses, having to pay for things (such as an office and assistants) out of that money.
Contrarily, operating small businesses is optional, like operating in a teaching hospital or a regular one.
Mike H
Jul3-08, 08:35 AM
P: 464
Ahh, OK, I was thinking in terms of "take-home salary," which of course malpractice insurance cuts into a fair bit.

The only people I know who uniformly, to a person, have medical school paid for by scholarships are those in the funded MD/PhD programs, not a regular MD program. I haven't known anyone in a regular MD program to get by solely on scholarships, although obviously plenty have had the full cost defrayed by what's out there. But hey, if your parents are willing to shell out for four years of med school, I'd take them up on the offer.

The fellowship thing, from what little I know of it, is typically an opportunity to further develop in a subspecialty in neurosurgery, which could be very beneficial/profitable down the line.
Englishman
Jul3-08, 10:27 AM
Quote Quote by Mike H View Post
Ahh, OK, I was thinking in terms of "take-home salary," which of course malpractice insurance cuts into a fair bit.

The only people I know who uniformly, to a person, have medical school paid for by scholarships are those in the funded MD/PhD programs, not a regular MD program. I haven't known anyone in a regular MD program to get by solely on scholarships, although obviously plenty have had the full cost defrayed by what's out there. But hey, if your parents are willing to shell out for four years of med school, I'd take them up on the offer.

The fellowship thing, from what little I know of it, is typically an opportunity to further develop in a subspecialty in neurosurgery, which could be very beneficial/profitable down the line.
Yeah, I could subspecialize.
godwinscareer
Jul3-08, 03:08 PM
P: 27
Another thing to consider is lifestyle...Neurosurgeons work about 65 hrs a week and also have to take call so..they end up working like 80 hrs a week!!!...they have no time for their family...and also the salaries of doctors are going down now i heard...
Englishman
Jul3-08, 08:21 PM
Quote Quote by godwinscareer View Post
Another thing to consider is lifestyle...Neurosurgeons work about 65 hrs a week and also have to take call so..they end up working like 80 hrs a week!!!...they have no time for their family...and also the salaries of doctors are going down now i heard...
I already know that neurosurgeons have to work long hours; it's extremely grueling, and I heard that the salaries of neurosurgeons are increasing.
gmunoz18
Jul5-08, 09:48 PM
P: 29
Are you willing to work 80 hours a week for 10 years making about 45k in order to become neurosurgeon.

5 years of general surgery + 5 years of neuro + fellowship if you want to subspecialize

Neurosurgeons are a breed of their own it is one of the most competitive specialty to get into. Dont do it for the money
Englishman
Jul5-08, 11:34 PM
Quote Quote by gmunoz18 View Post
Are you willing to work 80 hours a week for 10 years making about 45k in order to become neurosurgeon.

5 years of general surgery + 5 years of neuro + fellowship if you want to subspecialize

Neurosurgeons are a breed of their own it is one of the most competitive specialty to get into. Dont do it for the money
Of course. I am going to be a neurosurgeon, and besides, I have to work for 14-20 years to become one. I already know that it is one of the most competitive specialties to get into. I am very meticulous, which is what a neurosurgeon has to be. I am diligent, which a neurosurgeon has to be. I can do well under incredible pressure and time constraints, which is certainly what a neurosurgeon has to do. I have good manual dexterity, fine motor skills, and have very good hand-eye coordination, which is especially, absolutely what a neurosurgeon has to utilise to operate. This is all just a list of some of my attributes; not any boasting of any sort, or bragging.
sciencegal
Apr4-09, 03:17 PM
P: 5
i want to be a neurosurgeon too!...been wanting to be one since i was 8 years old...u shouldnt do it for the money..u should do it cuz u want to help people and save lives...even if neurosurgeons didnt make a lot of money, i would still want to do it...lifestyle is very demanding but the sense of accomplishment u get im sure is worth it! btw englishman...what stage are u in ur journey??? high school, university, med, residency???
aerospaceut10
Apr4-09, 03:39 PM
P: 139
Quote Quote by Englishman View Post
Of course. I am going to be a neurosurgeon, and besides, I have to work for 14-20 years to become one. I already know that it is one of the most competitive specialties to get into. I am very meticulous, which is what a neurosurgeon has to be. I am diligent, which a neurosurgeon has to be. I can do well under incredible pressure and time constraints, which is certainly what a neurosurgeon has to do. I have good manual dexterity, fine motor skills, and have very good hand-eye coordination, which is especially, absolutely what a neurosurgeon has to utilise to operate. This is all just a list of some of my attributes; not any boasting of any sort, or bragging.

It's pretty interesting to me that you have all of the fine skills needed to be a neurosurgeon yet not be able to answer your relatively simple question with searching for it on google.

How old are you and where exactly are you on this path to becoming a neurosurgeon?
Englishman
Apr4-09, 04:39 PM
Quote Quote by sciencegal View Post
i want to be a neurosurgeon too!...been wanting to be one since i was 8 years old...u shouldnt do it for the money..u should do it cuz u want to help people and save lives...even if neurosurgeons didnt make a lot of money, i would still want to do it...lifestyle is very demanding but the sense of accomplishment u get im sure is worth it! btw englishman...what stage are u in ur journey??? high school, university, med, residency???
I'm not doing it just for the money; I like science a lot, and I like what neurosurgeons do. (Money is just a side-benefit along with being a neurosurgeon) I really want to be able to feel the satisfaction of helping people. I also like the fact that it is very difficult, because I like being challenged. I'm in high school, and I go to a school that's called South Texas High School for Health Professions (Everyone calls it Med High).
Englishman
Apr4-09, 04:42 PM
Quote Quote by aerospaceut10 View Post
It's pretty interesting to me that you have all of the fine skills needed to be a neurosurgeon yet not be able to answer your relatively simple question with searching for it on google.

How old are you and where exactly are you on this path to becoming a neurosurgeon?
Obviously I can find the answer to my question by searching it on google, but I have found so many answers that, I want to see what answer(s) I get here. I'm in high school. My age is classified.
aerospaceut10
Apr4-09, 05:03 PM
P: 139
Quote Quote by Englishman View Post
Obviously I can find the answer to my question by searching it on google, but I have found so many answers that, I want to see what answer(s) I get here. I'm in high school. My age is classified.
True, but most of the answers you'll find that will be more worthy/realistic to listen to would be from those surveys or studies conducted by the various labor/medical profession groups as they're representing a collective "norm". Otherwise you'll be forced to deal with people saying their brother's friend's sister's fiance is profession x making 7 gazillion dollars.

I'm sure you'll have potential for high level careers, but don't be so sure that you'll end up as a neurosurgeon. You still have plenty of years before you realize exactly what goes into the process of getting into medical school, what major you would actually prefer, what kinds of things you learn in medical school, what things interest you, what things you're capable of, and all sorts of alternatives. Just keep your career choice open for possible alternatives.
Englishman
Apr4-09, 09:09 PM
Quote Quote by aerospaceut10 View Post
True, but most of the answers you'll find that will be more worthy/realistic to listen to would be from those surveys or studies conducted by the various labor/medical profession groups as they're representing a collective "norm". Otherwise you'll be forced to deal with people saying their brother's friend's sister's fiance is profession x making 7 gazillion dollars.

I'm sure you'll have potential for high level careers, but don't be so sure that you'll end up as a neurosurgeon. You still have plenty of years before you realize exactly what goes into the process of getting into medical school, what major you would actually prefer, what kinds of things you learn in medical school, what things interest you, what things you're capable of, and all sorts of alternatives. Just keep your career choice open for possible alternatives.
But I have seen many different answers, and I just wanted to get the correct one, you're right; many people on this forum have not done actual surveys and such on neurosurgeon salaries.
Well, at the very least, I am going to be a physician.

Register to reply