by wolram
Tags: build, dagmar, home
Share this thread:
wolram
Jul2-08, 02:45 AM
PF Gold
P: 3,685
Post any thing you want to build but have not time/resources to do so,

I want to build a three wheeled electric powered car, i have ideas to make it a practical home build project, first the body will be a monoquoc made from ply wood, the front suspension will be a (unit) that bolts to the body, and the rear suspension/ drive will be a (unit) that bolts to the body, the motor, motor controller and batteries are all ready sorted ,as much as possible i want to use parts salvaged from other vehicles.
A range of 50 miles and 50 MPH would be a base line for performance, any thing over would be a bonus, carrying two people with room for shopping.
Road legal? well i have to look into that.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Study links polar vortex chills to melting sea ice
Lab unveil new nano-sized synthetic scaffolding technique
Cool calculations for cold atoms: New theory of universal three-body encounters
NeoDevin
Jul2-08, 09:17 AM
P: 687
I think someone else already did that wolram...
http://www.bugev.net/
Danger
Jul2-08, 09:27 AM
PF Gold
P: 8,964
Jeez... too many to mention. I guess that the hovercraft and the nasty rebuild for the Roadrunner would be tied for second place. First would be my underground home.

mgb_phys
Jul2-08, 10:22 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 8,953
The home build thread the Dagmar

Quote Quote by NeoDevin View Post
The Sinclair C5 lives ......
wolram
Jul2-08, 08:10 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by NeoDevin View Post
That is far to high tec, the idea is to create plans for an electric car that could be put together in ones garage in a couple of weeks, i have the basic ideas, the body would go together like a pre formed aeroplane kit.
B. Elliott
Jul2-08, 08:21 PM
P: 399
Just a thought, but how about using the electric motor out of a fork lift?

http://www.ecomodder.com/blog/2008/0...-electric-car/
wolram
Jul2-08, 08:27 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by B. Elliott View Post
Just a thought, but how about using the electric motor out of a fork lift?

http://www.ecomodder.com/blog/2008/0...-electric-car/

I am all for cheap but that guy is going no where slowly, i have my eye on a WarP motor.
B. Elliott
Jul2-08, 08:53 PM
P: 399
Quote Quote by wolram View Post
I am all for cheap but that guy is going no where slowly, i have my eye on a WarP motor.
How much is a WarP motor? I figured if you were able to salvage a motor out a similar forklift and considering your chassis will be lighter, you should be able to hit the 50mph speed mark. Theirs was 40mph with a heavier chassis than you plan on using.

What are the road laws like in your area?
lisab
Jul2-08, 09:15 PM
Mentor
P: 2,990
Post any thing you want to build but have not time/resources to do so,
A timber framed house. Here's a picture of just the frame:

wolram
Jul2-08, 09:22 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by lisab View Post
A timber framed house. Here's a picture of just the frame:

Is it an optical illusion or are some of those timbers off vertical.
wolram
Jul2-08, 09:26 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by B. Elliott View Post
How much is a WarP motor? I figured if you were able to salvage a motor out a similar forklift and considering your chassis will be lighter, you should be able to hit the 50mph speed mark. Theirs was 40mph with a heavier chassis than you plan on using.

What are the road laws like in your area?
Good point, i will reconsider, as for the law i need to look in to it.
lisab
Jul2-08, 09:27 PM
Mentor
P: 2,990
Is it an optical illusion or are some of those timbers off vertical.
Hey now! You're knocking my dream here!

Actually, I had to re-size the picture several times...could that have warped it a bit?
wolram
Jul2-08, 09:32 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by lisab View Post
Hey now! You're knocking my dream here!

Actually, I had to re-size the picture several times...could that have warped it a bit?

May be drooling over the photo warped the timbers.

It is a cool looking start.
waht
Jul2-08, 10:00 PM
P: 1,636
I've been dying to build a radio telescope in the backyard using a 12 foot dish as an antenna for long time now. Something simple at first, it would consist of a homebrew hydrogen line receiver at 1.4 GHz to study traces of hydrogen in space. Later I could upgrade it to receive other frequencies.

I've also wanted to build a particle accelerator. Something up to 5 MeV to smash protons into targets. I've actually attempted to build one using a hand held vacuum pump and a cheap high voltage power supply, but the highest energy attained was less than 20 KeV, but it was enough to excite green glowing phosphorus.

Other projects I have in mind is to build a millimeter wave transmitter in 100 GHz range, but that's pushing it.
binzing
Jul2-08, 10:24 PM
P: 252
I want to build a Hobbit Hole someday. I'll use 11 foot concrete tubes. Which would give 3 feet of crawl space and a standard 8 foot ceiling.

I'd also like to make a hovercraft. I'd use a very large innertube, a lawnmower engine, and a few pieces of plywood.
sketchtrack
Jul2-08, 10:40 PM
P: 62
I want to build a guitar amp, a bass amp, an electronic drum set, and a PA into a car or van. The drums will be in the passenger seat. One other way to do it would be to just have a computer built in with an audio interface including 2 line ins for the E drum module, two instrument pres, and a mic pre. Then all the sound through one speaker and amp system. That way I could run it through pro tools, and even use VST plugins to shape the sounds of each instrument, and It would also be a recording studio.
sketchtrack
Jul2-08, 10:42 PM
P: 62
I also want to build a lab and room to grow mushrooms, and to do plant tissue culture in.
binzing
Jul2-08, 11:42 PM
P: 252
Lisab, do you notice your the only woman in here? LOL, but thats alright, I think you once said that you wanted to make a hobbit hole as well?

Register to reply