Register to reply

Uniform disk on incline problem,solving w/out height or length while only given angle

by nopistons93
Tags: angle, disk, height, incline, length, solving, uniform, w or out
Share this thread:
nopistons93
Jul6-08, 01:07 PM
P: 11
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
A solid uniform disk of radius 0.250 m and mass 55.0 kg rolls down an incline that makes an angle of 15 degrees with the horizontal. The disk starts from rest from the top of the ramp. Find the speed of the disk's center of mass when it reaches the bottom of the ramp(linear speed), its angular speed omega at that point and its KE rotational and KE translational energies.

2. Relevant equations
V(linear) = [tex]omega[/tex]*R
[tex]\alpha[/tex]=R*[tex]\omega[/tex]2
v=R*[tex]\omega[/tex]
a=R*[tex]\alpha[/tex]

PE = KErotational + KEtranslational

I = 1/2mr2

3. The attempt at a solution

I solved for I and got 1.72 kg * m^2 however without height or length I can't solve for the PE side inorder to get the KE.

I've seen the equation [tex]\alpha[/tex]=2gsin[tex]\Theta[/tex]/3R and thats the only thing I've noticed that would allow me to solve for either V or [tex]\omega[/tex] in this case. Am I missing something here, some equation which relates another way to this problem?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
FIXD tells car drivers via smartphone what is wrong
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials
Team defines new biodiversity metric
nopistons93
Jul6-08, 01:40 PM
ok so deriving the formula a = g*sin(theta)/1.5 , I found out that a = 1.69 m/s^2

since alpha = a/r , I found alpha to be 6.76 m/s^2.

since alpha=r*omega^s , i found omega to be 5.20 m/s again.

Solving for v from (v=r*omega), I found v equal to 1.30 m/s

i then plugged these numbers into the KE formulas to solve for them. Does that sound right?
cryptoguy
Jul6-08, 02:03 PM
P: 134
Quote Quote by nopistons93 View Post

I've seen the equation [tex]\alpha[/tex]=2gsin[tex]\Theta[/tex]/3R and thats the only thing I've noticed that would allow me to solve for either V or [tex]\omega[/tex] in this case. Am I missing something here, some equation which relates another way to this problem?
This equations is actually easily derived. Just start working out the problem assuming you do have h (height), use PE = KE. You will end up with [tex]Vcm^2 = \frac{4gh}{3}[/tex]. You then need to remember the equation [tex]V^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad[/tex]. Since Vi = 0, you will be able to plug in that equation for V^2 and get the equation you mentioned (noticed that h (height) cancels out, so it is not needed)

nopistons93
Jul6-08, 02:25 PM
Uniform disk on incline problem,solving w/out height or length while only given angle

im not understanding whre the Vcm^2 = 4gh/3 is coming from though..
cryptoguy
Jul6-08, 03:22 PM
all right well you start out with mgh = 1/2 I(omega)^2 + 1/2 1/2 mv^2. I = 1/2mr^2 as you said. omega = v/r. After a little algebra you should arrive at Vcm^2 = 4gh/3
nopistons93
Jul6-08, 03:26 PM
ok exactly what I was looking for there man. thank you very much\
nopistons93
Jul6-08, 03:44 PM
hey crypto,

im at the point..

2*a*d*sin(theta)=4gh/3

that reduces to a = 2g/3sin(theta) for some reason..
cryptoguy
Jul6-08, 03:50 PM
that's right, it's pretty much the same equation as you wrote, divide both sides by r (radius), and you will get [tex]\alpha = \frac{2gsin(\theta)}{3R}[/tex]
nopistons93
Jul6-08, 03:57 PM
well my equation yields 25.42 while the correct one yields 1.69
cryptoguy
Jul6-08, 04:08 PM
you mean for a (acceleration)? didn't you get 1.69 a couple posts back?
nopistons93
Jul6-08, 04:10 PM
Yes, just putting radius in the formula gives you alpha. I do understand I think I'm just writing down my algebra wrong.

Register to reply