Register to reply

A question involving self-composition.

by zpconn
Tags: involving, selfcomposition
Share this thread:
zpconn
Jul23-08, 11:29 PM
P: 243
I can't for the life of me figure this one out all the way.

Suppose f : R -> R is differentiable, and consider g(x) = f(f(x)). Show that if g is monotone decreasing, then g must be constant.

Here's what I've done so far (I'd hesitate to call it "progress"):

By the chain rule, g'(x) = f'(f(x)) f'(x). Suppose that g is strictly decreasing so that f'(f(x)) f'(x) < 0. One of the factors is positive and the other is negative. Since, by Darboux's theorem, f'(x) has the intermediate value property, there exists a q between x and f(x) such that f'(q) = 0. Then g'(q) = f'(f(q)) f'(q) = 0, a contradiction. Therefore g is not strictly decreasing.

I've investigated the fixed points of f and found lots of interesting facts, but none of them seems to lead anywhere on this problem.

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks a lot.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
Ben Niehoff
Jul24-08, 01:56 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,588
You have your proof already. "Strictly decreasing" and "monotone decreasing" mean two different things. If g is monotone decreasing but not strictly decreasing, then g must be constant.
zpconn
Jul24-08, 11:09 AM
P: 243
Why is that?

If g is monotone decreasing and not strictly decreasing, than means nothing more than that there's at least one u at which g'(u) = 0, i.e. g has at least one inflection point. However, if g were constant, it'd have g'(x) = 0 everywhere. Is there some standard result about monotone but not strictly decreasing functions that I'm unaware of?

Register to reply