Why do my speakers pick up radio stations?

by mr-tom
Tags: pick, radio, speakers, stations
mr-tom
Jul27-08, 11:26 AM
P: 18
I get random radio broadcasts coming from my logitech speakers when they are turned on but with no volume. Why is this?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
New ultrasound device may add in detecting risk for heart attack, stroke
Enhanced ground control system and software for small unmanned aircraft
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
chroot
Jul27-08, 01:30 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,424
Because they're poorly made. Some of the wiring inside the speaker acts as an antenna, and some part of the circuit provides the diode behavior necessary for demodulation. The resulting audio frequency energy is faithfully amplified by the power amplifier, and viola, you have a radio.

- Warren
russ_watters
Jul27-08, 03:36 PM
Mentor
P: 22,010
Is this at home? Are they plugged into a computer? Do you get the radio when you unplug them from the computer?

My company helped a building in Philly with a problem where the frame of the building was receiving radio waves and everything with a microphone or speakers on certain floors would play the radio station being broadcast from next door.

jim mcnamara
Jul27-08, 05:22 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,355

Why do my speakers pick up radio stations?

We had to build what amounts to a Faraday cage around a computer next to WNBC in Washington DC .... long loooong ago.

What you see is not all that uncommon, especially if there is a powerful radio antenna nearby.

Register to reply