Lenses question

by physicsdawg
Tags: lenses
Share this thread:
physicsdawg
Aug3-08, 03:10 PM
P: 25
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An object is 18cm in front of a diverging lens that has a focal length of -12cm. How far in front of the lens should the object be placed so that the size of its image is reduced by a factor of 2.0?

2. Relevant equations

1/do + 1/di = 1/f

m= -di/do

3. The attempt at a solution

i keep solving and getting 36 using those equations, but the answer says its 48 ...i donno how to get 48

1/18 + 1/di = 1/-12
di=7.2

m= -7.2/18
m=-.4

1/2m=-0.2
-.2= -7.2/do
do=36
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wearable 4MM jetpack tested on speed, agility for runners (w/ Video)
How did evolution optimize circadian clocks?
Corn spots: Study finds important genes in defense response
G01
Aug3-08, 03:16 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,685
Can you show your calculations, please? I can't find your mistake if I can't see your work.
physicsdawg
Aug3-08, 03:19 PM
k i edited it

G01
Aug3-08, 03:30 PM
HW Helper
Lenses question

Hmmm. I am also getting 36 as my answer. I know this is a stupid question, but are you sure your numbers are correct? It doesn't hurt to check. Also where are you getting the answer from?
physicsdawg
Aug3-08, 03:38 PM
physics textbook
tiny-tim
Aug4-08, 06:46 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,148
Quote Quote by physicsdawg View Post
An object is 18cm in front of a diverging lens that has a focal length of -12cm. How far in front of the lens should the object be placed so that the size of its image is reduced by a factor of 2.0?

i keep solving and getting 36 using those equations, but the answer says its 48 ...i donno how to get 48
Hi physicsdawg!

Try using 8cm instead of 18cm.
alphysicist
Aug4-08, 11:06 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,249
Hi physicsdawg,

Quote Quote by physicsdawg View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

1/do + 1/di = 1/f

m= -di/do

3. The attempt at a solution

1/18 + 1/di = 1/-12
di=7.2
I believe this answer is incorrect. The numerical value is right, but it needs to be a negative number.

m= -7.2/18
m=-.4

1/2m=-0.2
With di=-7.2, all of these magnifications will be positive numbers (which checks out, since a single diverging lens creates upright images).

-.2= -7.2/do
The second image will not be in the same place as the first image, and so the di for the second case is an unknown quantity. This equation should therefore be:

[tex]
0.2 = - di/do
[/tex]
and you need to find do. Do you see how to find it?
G01
Aug4-08, 11:21 PM
HW Helper
Quote Quote by alphysicist View Post
Hi physicsdawg,

I believe this answer is incorrect. The numerical value is right, but it needs to be a negative number.

With di=-7.2, all of these magnifications will be positive numbers (which checks out, since a single diverging lens creates upright images).

The second image will not be in the same place as the first image, and so the di for the second case is an unknown quantity. This equation should therefore be:

[tex]
0.2 = - di/do
[/tex]
and you need to find do. Do you see how to find it?

Ahh, of course. The second image is not in the same place as the first. I made that mistake as well. ( For some reason, I thought that was a condition in the problem. Guess I read into it too much.) Nice catch alphysicist.

Register to reply