List of materials and their damping properties

by MJCfromCT
Tags: damping, list, materials, properties
Share this thread:
MJCfromCT
Aug14-08, 07:33 AM
P: 20
Hi all,

I've finished a hypothetical problem in which I have determined the optimum damping ratio $\zeta$ for a specific system. This [tex]$\zeta$[/tex] value (0.265 in my case) minimizes the peak force transmitted through an object.

My next step is to take this [tex]$\zeta$[/tex] value and find some sort of "real-world" material or product (wood, cork, rubber, commercial-off-the-shelf damper, etc), that has a [tex]$\zeta$[/tex] value close to this so that I can basically say: "Here's the ideal [tex]$\zeta$[/tex] value, here's how close you can get to that using this material or that material".

I'm not sure where I can find a list of common materials and their associated damping ratios, or if such a list even exists in the first place? Any advice? thanks in advance.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
Team finds elusive quantum transformations near absolute zero
Scientists control surface tension to manipulate liquid metals (w/ Video)
Phrak
Aug16-08, 12:01 PM
P: 4,512
You've got me curious. I take it you have distinct elements: one with mass, one providing a spring constant, and one dampening element in one dimension.

Zeta doesn't seem to be a property of bulk materials, but would depend upon the shape of a solid damping element. In a one dimensional problem, and simple geometry, it would depend upon cross sectional area and length of the element, so seems to have units of D^-1 (or D^1).

But I'm beginning to think that the idea is to use a liquid, where you obtain zeta dependent upon the viscosity of the fluid.

Register to reply