List of materials and their damping properties

by MJCfromCT
Tags: damping, list, materials, properties
Share this thread:
MJCfromCT
Aug14-08, 07:33 AM
P: 20
Hi all,

I've finished a hypothetical problem in which I have determined the optimum damping ratio $\zeta$ for a specific system. This [tex]$\zeta$[/tex] value (0.265 in my case) minimizes the peak force transmitted through an object.

My next step is to take this [tex]$\zeta$[/tex] value and find some sort of "real-world" material or product (wood, cork, rubber, commercial-off-the-shelf damper, etc), that has a [tex]$\zeta$[/tex] value close to this so that I can basically say: "Here's the ideal [tex]$\zeta$[/tex] value, here's how close you can get to that using this material or that material".

I'm not sure where I can find a list of common materials and their associated damping ratios, or if such a list even exists in the first place? Any advice? thanks in advance.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
On-chip topological light: First measurements of transmission and delay
A two-stage trap for single protons leads to measurement of their magnetic properties
Unexpected phenomenon discovered at the surface of a transition metal oxide material
Phrak
Aug16-08, 12:01 PM
P: 4,513
You've got me curious. I take it you have distinct elements: one with mass, one providing a spring constant, and one dampening element in one dimension.

Zeta doesn't seem to be a property of bulk materials, but would depend upon the shape of a solid damping element. In a one dimensional problem, and simple geometry, it would depend upon cross sectional area and length of the element, so seems to have units of D^-1 (or D^1).

But I'm beginning to think that the idea is to use a liquid, where you obtain zeta dependent upon the viscosity of the fluid.

Register to reply