Velocity and kinetic energy of a neutron

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the velocity and kinetic energy of a neutron with a given mass and wavelength, as well as comparing it to the average kinetic energy of a gas molecule at room temperature. The correct method to calculate the velocity is by using the de Broglie relation, and the resulting kinetic energy is 0.0205eV, which is 46.1% less than the average kinetic energy of the gas molecule.
carus88
Calculate the velocity and kinetic energy of a neutron (mass 1.675x10-27kg) that has a wavelength of 0.2nm. How does this compare to the average kinetic energy of a gas molecule at room temperature (0.038eV at 200C)?

1. E=mc^2

2. KE = 1/2 mv^2

I used 1. to calculate the energy which was 1.51 x10^-10 J

Then i subbed the energy into 2. and got a velocity of 4.24 x10^8 m/s

LOL obviously I'm going wrong some where how can a neutron be going faster than light!

CAN SOMEONE HELP PLEASE?

Physics news on Phys.org
The energy you are computing is the rest energy, not the kinetic energy. To get the velocity use the de Broglie relation between wavelength and momentum. Then use that velocity to compute the kinetic energy.

sorry bout the multiple post i don't know how to delete the other one?

i used :

1. lambda=h/p=h/mv

an got v to = 1.98x10^3 m/s

then used ke = 0.5mv^2 = 0.0205eV

are these answers correct?

i attampted the the 2nd part and worked out a percentage
based on the respective energies an that the neutron had 46.1% less energy than the molecule

Looks right to me.

Thank you for your help.

1. What is the velocity of a neutron?

The velocity of a neutron can vary greatly depending on its energy and environment, but on average, it is around 10% of the speed of light, or approximately 2.2 million meters per second.

2. How is the velocity of a neutron calculated?

The velocity of a neutron can be calculated using the formula v = √(2E/m), where v is the velocity, E is the kinetic energy, and m is the mass of the neutron. This formula is derived from the kinetic energy equation, KE = 1/2mv².

3. What is the relationship between velocity and kinetic energy of a neutron?

The velocity and kinetic energy of a neutron are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the velocity of a neutron increases, so does its kinetic energy, and vice versa.

4. How does the velocity of a neutron affect its behavior?

The velocity of a neutron can greatly impact its behavior. At higher velocities, neutrons are more likely to undergo nuclear reactions or collisions with atoms, while at lower velocities, they are more likely to be absorbed or scattered by atoms.

5. Can the velocity of a neutron be changed?

Yes, the velocity of a neutron can be changed through various means such as collisions with other particles, interactions with electric or magnetic fields, or through nuclear reactions. Scientists can also control the velocity of neutrons in experiments using specialized equipment.