Register to reply

Terminal Voltage of a Battery

by LHC
Tags: battery, terminal, voltage
Share this thread:
LHC
Aug22-08, 02:00 PM
P: 25
There's a problem in my textbook where it gives the emf of a battery, its internal resistance, and the net resistance of the circuit that it is connected to. Then it asks for the terminal voltage.

Actually, this is just a problem set (not exactly a textbook), so it doesn't teach me from previous examples. I'm still fumbling my way around these problems... Could someone please give me a hint on what to do?

So far, from what I've read on the internet, you can calculate the terminal voltage as: V = emf - ir

I have the emf, and the internal resistance...but no current is given. Haha, I'm so confused.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
An interesting glimpse into how future state-of-the-art electronics might work
Tissue regeneration using anti-inflammatory nanomolecules
C2D2 fighting corrosion
chroot
Aug22-08, 02:04 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,427
You need to find the current through the total circuit, which is composed of both the external and internal resistances.

Next, you need to find the voltage drop across the internal resistance. You can use Ohm's law.

Finally, you know how much voltage is being "lost" on the internal resistance, so you know what voltage will appear on the battery's terminals.

- Warren
LHC
Aug22-08, 02:15 PM
P: 25
Quote Quote by chroot View Post
You need to find the current through the total circuit, which is composed of both the external and internal resistances.

Next, you need to find the voltage drop across the internal resistance. You can use Ohm's law.

Finally, you know how much voltage is being "lost" on the internal resistance, so you know what voltage will appear on the battery's terminals.

- Warren
First of all, I'd like to thank you for your quick reply. However, I'm not quite sure if I understand you correctly.

Ok, so the battery's emf is 6V, internal resistance is 0.6 Ohms, and the circuit's net resistance is 7.20 Ohms.

When you said:

I took that as...the total circuit has a resistance of 7.8 Ohms.
So, I have a current of 6.0/7.8 = 0.769 Amps ??

you need to find the voltage drop across the internal resistance. You can use Ohm's law.
So...I found that as Current X Internal Resistance = 0.462 V

6.0 V - 0.462 V = 5.54 V, which is the answer.

So...I don't need to worry about the resistance through the circuit?

Topher925
Aug22-08, 03:12 PM
P: 1,672
Terminal Voltage of a Battery

Not when you are only concerned about the voltage across the battery terminals, then the rest of the circuit is irrelevant. Remember voltage is the potential between two points, where current is a conserved flow.
chroot
Aug22-08, 03:16 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,427
Quote Quote by LHC View Post
which is the answer.
Good work!

So...I don't need to worry about the resistance through the circuit?
You DID worry about it -- you included it in the total resistance, so you could find the current.

- Warren

Register to reply