Register to reply

Distance/speed problem

by wadesweatt
Tags: distance or speed
Share this thread:
wadesweatt
Aug23-08, 03:20 PM
P: 33
A horse canters away from its trainer in a straight line, moving 140 m away in 14.0 s. It then turns abruptly and gallops halfway back in 4.3 s.

(a) Calculate its average speed. (m/s)

(b) Calculate its average velocity for the entire trip, using "away from the trainer" as the positive direction. (m/s)

To start, I have drawn a graph to represent this situation, with time on the x-axis and distance on the y-axis. 1) I don't know how average speed and average velocity are different (since I thought they were both how fast something is going, or the slope of the graph), and 2) I don't know how to find the derivative of the graph since it is not linear and I am given no additional information about the equation of the graph.

Maybe I am thinking way too far into this. I am new to physics, but I've had lots of math.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Wade
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
FIXD tells car drivers via smartphone what is wrong
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials
Team defines new biodiversity metric
chislam
Aug23-08, 03:52 PM
P: 79
Well if you know anything about vectors and scalars, then the difference should be easy to realize that speed is a scalar value and velocity is a vector value.

average speed = total distance covered / time

average velocity = total displacement / time
wadesweatt
Aug23-08, 04:05 PM
P: 33
Thanks for the explanation. Yep, I've never had any college or high school physics before so I had never heard about that difference.

Register to reply