Eqn of Plane passing through a point and perpendicular to another plane's trace

by Stumbleinn
Tags: passing, perpendicular, plane, point, trace
Share this thread:
Stumbleinn
Aug25-08, 06:46 PM
P: 1
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Here's the problem:Find the equation of the plane passing through the point (-3,1,4) and perpendicular to the trace of the plane x-3y+7z-3=0 in the xy plane.

2. Relevant equations

to me this should be as easy as finding the two coordiates of the plane's traces on the x and y axis. ie (3,0,0) and (0,-1, 0). Since these two points and the point (-3,1,4) determine the plane.

3. The attempt at a solution
since the general form of the plane is Ax+By+Cz+D=0. I should get 3 equations that look like this:
1) 3A+D=0
2) -B+D=0
3) -3A+B+4C+D=0
1) implies that -D/A=3 and thus D=-3 and A=1
substituting into eqn2 yields B=-3
and sunstituing into eqn3 gives C=9/4
so the eqn should be x-3y+9/4Z-3=0 or 4x-12y+9z-3=0
However the answer in the book is 3x+y+8=0. I find that the book is rarely wrong and usually it's me that is confused.

Please advise on where I went wrong
Thanks so much
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
HallsofIvy
Aug25-08, 07:37 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,348
Quote Quote by Stumbleinn View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Here's the problem:Find the equation of the plane passing through the point (-3,1,4) and perpendicular to the trace of the plane x-3y+7z-3=0 in the xy plane.

2. Relevant equations

to me this should be as easy as finding the two coordiates of the plane's traces on the x and y axis. ie (3,0,0) and (0,-1, 0). Since these two points and the point (-3,1,4) determine the plane.
These 3 points give the plane containing the trace in the xy plane, not perpendicular to it. The trace of the plane in the xy-plane is given, of course, by x- 3y- 3= 0 and z= 0. If you use y itself as parameter, x= 3y+ 2, y= y, z= 0 are parametric equation of that line. A vector pointing in the direction of that line is <3, 1, 0>. You want the equation of a plane containing (-3, 1, 4) and having normal vector <3, 1, 0>.

3. The attempt at a solution
since the general form of the plane is Ax+By+Cz+D=0. I should get 3 equations that look like this:
1) 3A+D=0
2) -B+D=0
3) -3A+B+4C+D=0
1) implies that -D/A=3 and thus D=-3 and A=1
substituting into eqn2 yields B=-3
and sunstituing into eqn3 gives C=9/4
so the eqn should be x-3y+9/4Z-3=0 or 4x-12y+9z-3=0

However the answer in the book is 3x+y+8=0. I find that the book is rarely wrong and usually it's me that is confused.

Please advise on where I went wrong
Thanks so much

Register to reply