How Do You Calculate Net Forces in Coulomb's Law Problems?

• Thread starter StephenDoty
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, if there are four charges, each with a magnitude of q_0, q_1, q_2, and q_3, and the particles are all at the origin, then the net force on particle 0 due to all charges is F=kq0q3/r^2.
StephenDoty
A. Consider two positively charged particles, one of charge q_0 (particle 0) fixed at the origin, and another of charge q_1 (particle 1) fixed on the y-axis at (0,d_1, 0). What is the net force F_vec on particle 0 due to particle 1?
Express your answer (a vector) using any or all of k, q_0, q_1, d_1, [tex]\hat{x}[/tex]unit, [tex]\hat{y}[/tex]unit, and [tex]\hat{z}[/tex]unit. (See Picture CPartA)

F=kq0q1/d1^2 C and the vector is in the direction of -y so the F_vector = kq0q1/d1^2 C (-[tex]\hat{j}[/tex]. But how do you put this into mastering physics? Do you use just the[tex]\hat{j}[/tex] or do you put -[tex]\hat{j}[/tex] at the end of F=kq0q1/d1^2?

B. Now add a third, negatively charged, particle, whose charge is -q_2 (particle 2). Particle 2 fixed on the y-axis at position (0,d_2,0). What is the new net force on particle 0, from particle 1 and particle 2?

Express your answer (a vector) using any or all of k, q_0, q_1, d_1, [tex]\hat{x}[/tex]unit, [tex]\hat{y}[/tex]unit, and [tex]\hat{z}[/tex]unit. (See Picture CPartB)

The F on 0 due to 1 goes to the -y direction and the F on 0 due to 2 goes to the +y direction. Thus the F net = F on 0 due to 2 - F on 0 due to 1, since the negative charge is closer than the positive charge.
So F= (kq0q2/d2^2)-(kq0q1/d1^2) in the direction of [tex]\hat{j}[/tex]. How do I input this answer into mastering physics?

C. Particle 0 experiences a repulsion from particle 1 and an attraction toward particle 2. For certain values of d_1 and d_2, the repulsion and attraction should balance each other, resulting in no net force. For what ratio d_1/d_2 is there no net force on particle 0?
Express your answer in terms of any or all of the following variables: k, q_0, q_1, q_2.

For the charges to have no net force on particle 0 the two forces must equal each other.
{(kq0q2)/d2^2} = {(kq0q1)/d1^2}
(d1^2/d2^2) = (kq0q1)/(kq0q2)
(d1^2/d2^2) = q1/q2
d1/d2= sqrt(q1/q2)
Do I just use the square root symbol in mastering physics and put q1/q2 in the parenthesis?

D. Now add a fourth charged particle, particle 3, with positive charge q_3, fixed in the yz-plane at (0,d_2,d_2). What is the net force F_vec on particle 0 due solely to this charge?
Express your answer (a vector) using k, q_0, q_3, d_2, x_unit, y_unit, and z_unit. Include only the force caused by particle 3. (See Picture CPartD)

The force on particle 0 due to q3 would be in the negative y and negative z and positive x direction. But I am unsure how to use F=kq0q3/r^2? Would r^2 be the distance, r^2= (d2^2)+(d2^2)? So would F = kq0q3/(d2^2+d2^2)? And how would I find the direction of the vector? Would it be the [tex]\hat{z}[/tex] ? So I would put kq0q3/(2d2^2) [tex]\hat{z}[/tex] into mastering physics?

Thank you for all of your help. I know I made a large message, but most of my questions are on how to input the answers into mastering physics. So any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
All of the pictures are attached.

Stephen

Attachments

• CPartA.jpg
    CPartA.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 598
  • CPartB.jpg
    CPartB.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 644
  • CPartD.jpg
    CPartD.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 689
Physics news on Phys.org
bump

I really need to know how you put the answers in mastering physics and if I am doing the coulomb force right?

Thank you.
Stephen

I ****ing hate mastering physics... I am doing this problem right now... except it keeps telling me I am wrong! but i shouldn't be... so ****ing dumb. horrible program.. oh yay! instant feedback! i would rather turn in a problem and be a little wrong and find out a day later.. .then get no points! because I can't get any points unless its totally correct...

1. What is Coulomb's Force problem?

Coulomb's Force problem is a physics problem that deals with calculating the electrostatic force between two charged particles. It is named after French physicist Charles-Augustin de Coulomb, who first described the relationship between electric charge and force in the 18th century.

2. How do you calculate Coulomb's Force?

Coulomb's Force can be calculated using the formula F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where F is the force, k is a constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the two particles, and r is the distance between them. The direction of the force is attractive if the charges are opposite, and repulsive if the charges are the same.

3. What is the unit of Coulomb's Force?

The unit of Coulomb's Force is Newtons (N), which is the standard unit for measuring force in the International System of Units (SI).

4. How does distance affect Coulomb's Force?

According to the Coulomb's Force equation, the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the two charged particles. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases and vice versa.

5. What are some real-life applications of Coulomb's Force?

Coulomb's Force is used in many practical applications, such as in the design of electronic devices, power transmission systems, and particle accelerators. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules, as well as the properties of materials and their interactions with electric fields.